Mine are always far more mishapen than these...
One can of crescent roll dough
8 large marshmallows (or one for each roll you’ll be making)
Bible or Easter storybook
Assemble rolls and read the story:
1. Read John 19 while the oven is pre-heating according to the package directions. If you’re really on top of things, spend the week before reading John 12-18 with your kids.
2. Unroll the crescent rolls. Explain that this is like the cloth they wrapped Jesus in.
3. Give your child a marshmallow and explain that it represents Jesus… all white and pure because He was without sin.
4. Roll the marshmallows in the melted butter. This symbolizes the embalming oils.
5. Roll the marshmallows in the cinnamon sugar. This is like the spices used to prepare his body for burial.
6. Wrap the marshmallow in the crescent roll cloth, pinching the dough together securely. Don’t worry about the shape so much, they’ll taste the same no matter how you roll or bundle them. This represents how they would have wrapped Jesus’ body. I like to brush them with more melted butter, but it’s not necessary.
7. Put the rolls in the oven (symbolizing the tomb) and bake for the amount of time specified on the package.
8. While the rolls are baking, read John 20:1-18.
9. Open the tomb and remove the rolls. When they’re cool enough to handle, break one open and discover what happened to the marshmallow. Jesus is risen! At this point, I also read 1 Thessalonians 4:16-18. Jesus is coming again!
Beware: One year, when Soliel was six, she bit into her roll and discovered that the marshmallow hadn’t quite melted and said, “Hey, Jesus is still in here!” She was very disappointed!
Note: I am certainly not the first person to post this idea, and I can’t remember where I first heard of it. We did it with my preschoolers back when I was a teacher. I can’t find anywhere who first thought of this so I can credit them. If you know, you can leave it in the comments. Otherwise, to God be the glory
Thank you, Photoxpress
Note: This post originally appeared in 2010, and it’s been a big hit, so I thought I’d post it again.
Resurrection Rolls: An Easy Easter Treat is a post from: Homegrown Mom
This book: Five Conversations You Must Have with Your Daughter
Being the Secret Ingredient
Young Living Oils
© Homegrown Mom for , 2014. |