2014-03-14

I wanted to share my completed project and experience with everyone here in case you decide in the future to upgrade your Projection Headlights (Regular Bulbs) & Fog Lights (Regular Bulbs) to an HID Conversion kit.

The reason why I did mine was due to poor lighting from the truck headlights when I drove in the evenings. First I thought it was my eyeballs but my wife did comment about the headlights not very bright too. OK, so I waited and drove more in the evenings and read up on info about the projection headlights. I finally committed and ordered two sets. I should have ordered three for the high beams too. But that will be for next time.

After the installation yesterday, we took it for a drive and all I can say is that our investment is well worth it to have a higher lumens ratio and switching to HID. I can see again!!! Both the headlights and fog lights overall provided us a comfort of having better lighting at night.

Below are some images of each step I took to complete this project:

photo(12).jpg

Here is a snap shot of how you inner connect the HID Conversion Kit to an existing Projection Headlight System.

photo(11).jpg

The kits comes with everything you need. There are no drilling, wire splicing or custom switches required. All plug and play.

Tools needed: You will need a 10MM 3/8 socket, one foot long 3/8 extension and 3/8 socket wrench, 8MM socket for the back plate removal on your headlight - back side, plastic fastener tool to pop six of them off which is on top of your radiator and front grill which the grill have to be removed as well (4 - 10 MM bolts on top). You will also need a one inch drill bit to drill out the back plate of where your headlight bulbs are located on the back side. I used a cordless drill.

1. Remove front grill - (6) 10MM bolts. On the bottom of your grill, it has two push in tabs on each bottom corner. Once you have the four bolts off the top, grab the grill on a wide grip and slightly tilt, and pull slowly on towards the bottom of the grill and it will pop off. No need to man handle.

2. Remove the headlight by first going underneath your front fender tire(s) of each side, you will see a small little panel where you can snap the two tabs off and fold. Reach in and unlock the latch that holds the headlight stud on the back housing to allow you to remove pulling forward to you once you get the two (10MM) bolts off on the front of your truck. See image:

photo(7).jpg

Top bolt to remove on each headlight.

photo(8).jpg

Bottom bolt to remove on each headlight. Use the long extension for this one and the bolt is 2 inches + long.

photo(9).jpg

If you look at the inside pocket of the light assembly, you will see the little opening flap from the inside of the front fender. The white tab inside (3 1/2 inch in length) is what needs to be pushed up with your hands from the inside flap so it unlocks the back light assembly. Once you have all three items removed and unlocked, pull the headlight gently towards you while standing in front of the bumper. No need to man handle. remove the connector from the back of the headlamp. Use a small screw driver if needed to pop the connector lock. At this point, you are ready to install your conversion kit.

photo(6).jpg

Here is the small door flap inside your front fender you will need to open to get to the unlock and lock arm. If you look inside, there is the 3 1/2 inch estimate of the arm that needs to be pushed up to unlock. when you assemble it back, push the headlight assembly back in the same way you pulled it out and push down on that white tab to lock.

photo(14).jpg

Remove the 5 screws off the back plate. Drilled a one inch hole so I can feed the wires and connectors through the hole and seat the rubber grommet in place. Then I took the original bulb out and installed the HID light, put the cover back and fastened twith the five screws with an 8MM socket. The orginal bulb connector plugs into the female from the new harness. The instructions on the box is very simple to follow. Refer to the first image.

photo(10).jpg

Here is how it looks after installing the HID light, drilling a hole and wiring loom kit connected. The fogs are similar to install. Just follow the instructions. Very straight forward. I strapped my canceller and ballast inside the flap for the headlights and the fog lights I tied strapped them onto a bracket near the fog lamp housing.. There are other ways you can mount them inside and underneath. They also come with brackets if you wanted to use them. Assembing back together is the same way you took everything off. It took me a little longer time since this is my first install. But once i started the second headlight assembly including the fog lights, it went very quickly. This should help you eliminate the scratching the head situation and reduce install time.

photo(4).jpg

New HID low beam and fog light with (4) cancellers (to eliminate dash board error light) and (4) ballasts installed.
photo(5).jpg

25 feet away.
photo(1).jpg

Close up.
photo(3).jpg

Low beam, fog light and original high beam on. You can see the yellow which is omitting from the high beam. I did not buy the high beam conversion kit. I would suggest to if you want to do it all at one time. I plan to replace the high beam to HID in the near future.
photo.jpg

The view from a low beam headlight and fog light stand point. No comparison from the stock bulbs. The lumens doubled for both head and fog lights.

There are many places you can by this kit online. I purchased the kits from this site because of easy navigation and have good reviews. Look around if you plan to upgrade your lights. http://www.xenonpro.com/?gclid=COKeo...Fenm7AodAU0AHw

Part numbers: 9145 and 9012 from this site.

Al

Attached Images

photo(12).jpg
(398.7 KB)

photo(11).jpg
(784.5 KB)

photo(9).jpg
(429.2 KB)

photo(7).jpg
(561.4 KB)

photo(8).jpg
(544.8 KB)