In excess of 50 spectacular cars to be offered at RM’s Paris sale on 5 February 2014
Outstanding selection of cars from across all sectors of the collector car market
With a focus on quality, the average value across all individual lots exceeds €500,000
Complete digital catalogue now available online at www.rmauctions.com
LONDON (9 January, 2014) – RM Auctions, the world’s largest collector car auction house for investment-quality automobiles, is preparing to conduct its inaugural sale in Paris, from 4–5 February 2014, during the world famous Retromobile week. The auction at Place Vauban is highly anticipated by the entire collector car community, as in excess of 50 stunning cars prepare to cross the podium at what is set to become another exciting fixture in RM’s annual European auction calendar.
With an average value across all lots exceeding €500,000, the auction clearly features an outstanding selection of cars, with each having been carefully selected by RM in order to offer the finest possible quality to the market. The sale’s catalogue presents the best examples of racing, sports, and touring cars from both the pre- and post-war periods, and it promises to offer a stunning collection that will excite enthusiasts and collectors from across the globe.
Max Girardo, Managing Director of RM Europe, says: “As ever, our objective for the Paris sale has been to bring together cars of exceptional quality. We look for only the best examples and aim to offer cars that will appeal to all areas of the market. I’m delighted to say that our catalogue for the Paris auction features more than 50 of the best fresh-to-market cars, and the sale will be a great curtain raiser to our 2014 European calendar”.
Featuring some of the best racing cars to be offered in recent years, the previously announced Harburg Competition Car Collection offers incredible Porsche lots such as the 1973 ex-Works 917/30 Can-Am Spyder, a 1982 ex-Works 956 Group C Sports-Prototype, and a 1964 904 Carrera GTS, along with a 1955 Jaguar D-Type and a 1955 Ferrari 750 Monza Spider. The Paris sale also features an ex-Works 2008 Peugeot 908 HDi FAP Le Mans Prototype; this is a car which has finished 2nd at Le Mans and which is being offered for sale direct by the Peugeot Factory.
The auction also features some stunning examples of sports and touring cars from many of the world’s most desirable marques, including Bugatti, Ferrari, Horch, Lamborghini, Mercedes-Benz, Jaguar, and Porsche. The sale will include a striking 1940 Horch 853A Sport Cabriolet styled by Erdmann & Rossi.
Notable lots for Audi aficionados include (full details below):
1940 Horch 853A SportCabriolet Erdmann & Rossi (€800.000–€ 1.000.000)
1971 Lamborghini Miura P400S ‘SV Specification’ (€450.000–€ 500.000)
1973 Porsche + Audi 917/30 Can-Am Spyder (€2.100.000–€ 2.900.000)
2007 Lamborghini Countach ‘Koenig’ Sculpture by Benedict Radcliffe (€80.000–€ 110.000)
2008 Peugeot 908 HDi FAP Le Mans Prototype (€1.400.000–€ 1.800.000)
RM’s inaugural Paris auction will be held at Place Vauban immediately after the International Automobile Festival, which is taking place from 29 January to 2 February 2014. This exciting event will gather a stunning display of beautiful concept cars and pay tribute to car designers from around the world. (www.festivalautomobile.com)
Lot # 1 – Lamborghini Countach ‘Koenig’ by Benedict Radcliffe, 2007
Fourtitude’s take: Audi may not have owned Lamborghini during the heady era of the Countach, but inclusion of this lot is still important. The Countach itself is one of Sant Agata’s most iconic offerings and this cool wire-made sculpture pays homage to a classic.
A one-of-a-kind life-size sculpture of a Lamborghini Countach
As perhaps the most iconic supercar of the 1980s, the Lamborghini Countach was often considered to be the most ridiculous automotive design in a decade known for pushing the limits of fashion. This Lamborghini “Koenig’ Countach sculpture, made of 10-millimetre steel rods and painted in striking Fluoro orange, was crafted by Benedict Radcliffe, and it is nothing short of extraordinary. Radcliffe is well-known for doing similar works with steel rods, including the creation of several full-size automobile sculptures, but there is only one Countach.
The sculpture was displayed on the streets of London shortly after its completion, and it arguably received more attention than a real Countach would have if parked in the same location. The attention to detail put into the sculpture is incredible, and all of its angles and curves perfectly mimic those of the real car, down to the inscription of “Pirelli P7” on the tyres. Its orange paint only helps to highlight the Countach’s distinctive sharp angles, and it shows off all the best aspects of a shape that captivated a generation.
For the Lamborghini owner or aficionado, this work of art is ideal, as it displays the striking visual form of one of Lamborghini’s most iconic automobiles, and it would be a striking installation for the connoisseur’s garage or living room.
Lot # 14 – 1940 Horch 853A Sport Cabriolet Erdmann & Rossi
Fourtitude’s take: Horch represents the most prestigious and luxury-laden of the pre-war Auto Union brands. Among the cars produced by Horch, the 843A Sport Cabriolet is likely the most prestigious. This one’s a recreation, and it’s also an opportunity to own one of the greats built by Auto Union during the halcyon pre-war era.
Chassis no. 854402
120 bhp, 4,944 cc inline overhead-camshaft eight-cylinder engine, ZF five-speed overdrive transmission, independent front suspension via upper A-arms and lower twin transverse leaf springs and a chassis lubrication system, fully independent rear suspension with half shafts and leaf springs, four-wheel vacuum-assisted hydraulic drum brakes, and a centrally controlled four-wheel hydraulic jacking system. Wheelbase: 135.8 in.
Extraordinarily handsome coachwork
Amongst the last 853A chassis produced by Horch
Equipped with the desirable power steering and overdrive transmission
After leaving his eponymously named firm around 1910 due to disagreements over lagging sales and engineering problems, August Horch founded a company based on a Latin translation of his name, Audi. In 1932, Germany found itself in a financial crisis and the result saw Audi, Horch, DKW, and Wanderer merge to form Auto Union in hopes of survival. In 1933, August Horch was reinstated as the head of the Horchwerke.
That same year, Horch, still catering to the luxury market, launched the Type 830, followed by the 850 in 1934. The top Horch models were based on the fully developed straight eight-cylinder engines, and they reached the absolute pinnacle between 1937 and 1940, with the Type 853 and 951. The engine was now of five-litre capacity, and the 853 employed double-jointed rear axle shafts that were pioneered on the Porsche-designed Auto Union racing cars, providing fully independent de Dion rear-type suspension. Front suspension consisted of an upper A-arm, with the lower hub being carried by a pair of transverse leaf springs. Vacuum-assisted hydraulic brakes were standard, as was a four-speed transmission with a lever-actuated overdrive that was usable in all four gears. The result was a highly advanced chassis for the time, and one that would not be matched by most other car manufacturers until well into the post-war years.
Just as they were competitors on the track, with their team cars collectively known as the “Silver Arrows”, Horch and Mercedes-Benz also competed in the luxury market, and Horch decided to respond directly to the 540K. A design concept began, and a wooden model was built to assess the Horch Special Roadster. The decision was made to go ahead, and the construction of the car was undertaken by the factory works in Malan, Germany. The car was shown briefly, but it was not initially sold, as plans to supercharge the car were contemplated. Ultimately, the straight eight engine was deemed sufficient for the car, and plans to supercharge it were abandoned. Although not supercharged like its rivals, the 853 models do have overdrive, which closes the performance gap.
This 1940 Horch, chassis number 854402, is an astounding recreation of the Erdmann & Rossi Sportcabriolet, which is also commonly referred to as a Spezial Roadster. In the 1930s, there were three separate series of this style built, some by the Horch factory, some by Gläser, and others by Erdmann & Rossi. Today, there are only six of all styles known. The chassis and engine of this car were reportedly disinterred 25 years ago near Moscow, where it was with six other cars, hiding behind a wall. It was presumably hidden there from the Communists during or immediately following World War II. Most interestingly, the high numbering of the chassis indicates that it is one of the very last 853A chassis that would be produced by Horch before the war.
As found, it became the perfect basis for fulfilling the dream of a gentleman from Hamburg, who had always desired to have his own Erdmann & Rossi Sportcabriolet. The chassis came to Germany around 1998, and the owner then began to acquire parts. In restoring the chassis and drivetrain, he is reported to have used a network of well-known specialists to provide parts and expertise. In 2003, the work picked up in earnest with the construction of the body, and the car was completed around 2008, when it was registered for the road.
The result is simply stunning, as it combines several of the front-end styling cues of the Second Series by Erdmann & Rossi and also incorporates the rear-end styling of the Gläser-bodied 855 Sportcabriolet. Of particular note is the sloping rear deck, which is shaped around the spare tyre carrier and further emphasises the streamlined shape of the wings. The rear deck also incorporates three step plates on either side, which lead to a faux rumble seat that contains fitted luggage.
The elegant cream interior is particularly beautiful, especially its exquisitely restored standard 853 dash, which has a period-style radio mounted underneath, and its sumptuous special interior with black piping, which matches the marvellous exterior black finish of the car. It is equipped with the higher-rated 120 horsepower engine and the desirable five-speed manual transmission with overdrive, which is referred to in Germany as Autobahn-Schnellgang. This car has also been retrofitted with power steering, for ease of driving.
As with those of other great coachbuilt cars, prices for the original Horch 853 Sportcabriolets are rising, with the most recent transaction being over $5,000,000. This, one man’s vision for his own Sportcabriolet, combines the exceptional styling of the originals with outstanding condition, and it is available at a fraction of the price.
Lot #24 – 1973 Porsche 917/30 Can-Am Spyder
Fourtitude’s take: Yes, this is a Porsche. Even still, there is an association with Audi. The Porsche + Audi campaign and thusly stylized logo adorning these Can-Am era racers speaks to the cooperation between the brands in the period when Audi was just re-launching itself in America. Though this is purely a Porsche machine, we believe some of Audi’s early heritage with sportscar racing can be traced here. As a result, we’re including this awesome piece of machinery in our list of auction lots to watch.
Chassis no. 917/30-005
Est. 1,100 bhp, 5,000 cc DOHC air-cooled flat 12-cylinder engine with Bosch mechanical fuel injection and twin KKK turbochargers, four-speed manual gearbox, four-wheel independent suspension with coil springs and shock absorbers, and four-wheel ventilated disc brakes. Wheelbase: 2,500 mm
One of the most dominant Porsche racing cars of all time
Outrageously powerful turbocharged flat-12 engine
The last of four 917/30 chassis completed by the factory
Built at Weissach; a genuine factory-built 917/30
Featured in Motor Trend magazine and Automobile Quarterly
Documented by Jürgen Barth
Perhaps no other race car claims the outright success that is boasted by Porsche’s 917/30, a purpose-built spyder that dominated its only season of competition and went on to set a still respectable closed-course speed record. Rooted in roughly four years of development of similar racing spyders, the 917/30’s beginnings initially arose from two goals.
With a new American retail relationship between Porsche and Audi forming in 1969, VW of America executive Josef Hoppen sought to publicise the development with a racing campaign. This suggestion nicely melded with Porsche’s plans for entry into the Can-Am Challenge Cup, the unlimited regulation Canadian-American series that featured racing’s most powerful cars. After fitting chassis number 917-027 with a spyder body that was almost identical to that of the 908/2, the aptly named 917PA was born, and the succeeding chassis, 917-028, was raced with great success by Jo Siffert. The upswept tail of the lightweight spyder’s bodywork proved to eliminate many of the 917 Coupé’s aerodynamic issues, prompting Porsche to explore the design for Can-Am development.
By 1971, Zuffenhausen was truly preparing the 917 Spyder’s powerplant for Can-Am competition, experimenting with a flat 16-cylinder engine before settling on a twin turbocharged version of the 917’s flat-12, which could eventually be boosted to develop as much as 1,100 horsepower, per the factory. Dubbed the 917/10, the new model was entrusted for the 1972 Can-Am season to Roger Penske’s team, with Mark Donohue taking on driving duties. After a crash injury ended Donohue’s season early, George Follmer replaced him and led the team to a runaway Can-Am Championship.
Donohue healed and served as the exclusive development driver during the off-season, and he soon realised that the 917/10’s bodywork emphasised downforce at the expense of top speed. When he suggested the addition of a 917-style long-tail, engineer Helmut Flegl embraced the solution, in addition to adding 200 millimetres to the wheelbase and a wind tunnel-developed nose crafted by SERA, Charles Deutsch’s firm in Paris. In total, the revised bodywork and wheelbase adjustment allowed the latest development of the 917 Spyder to eclipse 240 mph. Developed solely for Donohue’s use, the so-called 917/30, which eventually ended up a completely different car than the 917/10 from which it originated, performed nearly flawlessly, overcoming a sluggish season start to finish in dominating fashion and secure yet another Can-Am Championship for Porsche.
With new SCCA rules limiting fuel consumption, Porsche withdrew factory support from Can-Am racing after 1973, and Donohue retired from competition, essentially mothballing the faultless racing Spyder. In 1975, however, suspecting that the outrageously powerful car could still hold its own in closed-course speed trials, Donohue briefly emerged from retirement for a run at Talladega, in which the 917/30 set a new speed record for a closed course, including a straightaway time of 385 km/h (240.6 mph). The 917/30 was victorious in its Can-Am mandate, and it proved itself every bit as fast as more recent speed machines. It remains one of the most impressive race cars of any era, and it is legendary for its sheer power and overwhelming margin of victory. With just six examples built during its brief period of production, the model is also exceedingly rare, further bolstering its desirability.
Whilst the first three examples of the 917/30 were all fully functioning cars (the first having an adjustable wheelbase and driven in the Inter series and the following two cars being raced by Donohue for Penske), the final three cars were chassis that were built to be new cars for the 1974 season, two for Can-Am and one for the Inter series. Production stopped when the SCCA changed their rules and vastly limited fuel tank size. When Gerry Sutterfield, manager of a Porsche/Audi dealership in West Palm Beach, Florida, was strolling the Weissach facility with Helmut Flegl during a mid-1979 visit, the men happened upon the three chassis sitting outside, destined for storage. Mr Sutterfield, a renowned collector and enthusiast in his own right, knew exactly what the cars were. Flegl offered a chassis, and Mr Sutterfield inquired as to whether the assembly of one of the cars could be completed for him.
Appropriate 917/30 suspension parts had been used on the 936 Le Mans cars, and they were retrieved by the factory from the 936 parts stock. A proper flat-12 engine was eventually discovered, mislabelled in storage. In August 1979, the work began on chassis number 917/30-005 (originally destined for the Penske team) in earnest, with the frame initially cleaned and then refinished to show-level quality and slowly built upon to exacting detail. Included on file is a copy of the internal note, dated 9 July 1979, from Mr Flegal to the race department, ordering the construction of 917/30-005 and noting the installation of a five-litre engine. According to a feature article on the car in the July 1980 issue of Motor Trend, the builders were delighted to take their time and make the 917/30-005 as perfect as possible, relishing the unusual luxury of time afforded by the lack of a race deadline.It is believed that this 917/30 was the most expensive Porsche ever sold directly to a customer by the factory at the time. Although the proud owner initially retained the beautiful racer for display only, in time he grew curious of its performance capabilities, as revealed by a March 1982 feature in Motor Trend that explored the car’s limits in a test drive on the Palm Beach International Raceway. The 917/30 was also prominently featured in an article, “Racing In an Era of Outer Limits”, which was written by Donohue’s former college roommate, Burge Hulett, and published in Volume 19, Number 4, of Automobile Quarterly.
Meanwhile, by 1981, the sensational race car had been sold to Leslie Barth. Then, in 1989, it was acquired by Hans Thulin, a collector based in Malmo, Sweden, who sought to assemble a personal museum of the finest automobiles and art. The 917/30 joined a 1931 Bugatti Royale, a 1962 Ferrari GTO, and a 1958 Maserati 450S Spyder, in addition to major art works by such painters as Jasper Johns and Robert Rauschenberg. Unfortunately, Mr Thulin’s ambitious tastes left him in financial straits by 1991, and his collection was pared, with the 917/30 and the Bugatti being sold to the Meitec Corporation in Japan. The Spyder was then purchased by an anonymous owner in 2005 and then acquired by the current owner in 2011.
In addition to claiming all of the superlative characteristics of the 917/30, including overwhelming power and low weight, 917/30-005 was never competitively raced, and it was built by the Weissach factory to even more exacting standards than a standard racing schedule could ever allow. Of the three 917/30 examples without period competition history, this car is surely the finest, and it can, in many respects, be considered the freshest example in existence, as the other two have experienced significant vintage racing campaigns. Importantly, it is also the only one of the three that was actually completed by the Porsche factory at Weissach.
This important 917/30, one of the most powerful race cars ever constructed, warrants serious consideration by any Porsche racing connoisseur or collector of Can-Am cars, and it would make a crowning addition to the finest assemblage of important speed machines.
Lot # 33 – 1971 Lamborghini Miura P400 S ‘SV Specification’
Fourtitude’s take: Obviously Audi’s ownership of Italian super carmaker Lamborghini gets this pristine-looking right-hand-drive Miura onto our list already. Beyond that, the car is even more interesting due to its original owner (Rod Stewart) and also because it’s been painstakingly modified to SV-spec by a subsequent owner.
Chassis no. 4863
Engine no. 30614
370 bhp, 3,929 cc DOHC V-12 engine, five-speed manual transmission, front and rear independent suspension with upper and lower A-arms, coil springs, and anti-roll bars, and four-wheel Girling disc brakes. Wheelbase: 2,500 mm
An original UK-delivery, right-hand drive example
Delivered new to rock legend Rod Stewart
Restored by Colin Clarke in the most desirable SV specification
Even greatness can be improved upon. In 1968, Lamborghini introduced its updated Miura P400S, which featured a V-12 with revised camshafts that was good for a power output of over 370 horsepower and was mounted on a stiffened chassis. This model was, in turn, followed by the epically exciting, ultimate production Miura, the P400SV, which was first shown at Geneva in 1971. The SV offered even greater performance and improved handling, and it boasted 385 horsepower, with separate lubrication for the engine and gearbox, a limited-slip differential, completely revised suspension, and a leather interior. The rear track was widened five inches, to accommodate wider wheels, which necessitated the Dino-like “flaring” of the rear body panels. Most menacingly of all were the distinctive laid-back headlamps, which lost their “eyelashes” in favour of the masculine plain black surrounds.
With a top speed of 180 mph, it is no wonder that numerous owners of earlier Miuras elected to have their automobiles upgraded to this ultimate specification.
The P400S offered here is an original United Kingdom-delivery example that was supplied to its first owner, rock legend Rod Stewart, by Lamborghini Concessionaires Ltd. of Alie Street, London. A copy of its original records, which were kept by Derek Hopkins of said dealership, is included in the file. Also included in the file is a copy of the original delivery sheet, which notes the car as having right-hand drive, factory air conditioning, and seatbelts. The file also has a copy of a photo of Stewart’s then girlfriend, model Dee Harrington, with two Miuras, one of which is an S with this car’s original British registration, JLL 831K.
The car passed from Rod Stewart through to owners in Wiltshire, Kent, and Cambridge. In 1976, the Miura was acquired by Clive Hugo Nagel, and then it passed to Michael Baker, of Horley, in April 1983. The car was then acquired by the present British caretaker, who has retained ownership of it for the past two decades. As such, this Miura has known ownership history since new.
The current owner selected to transform this car into the SV specification, with the necessary front and rear clam modifications, suspension upgrades, and rear lights. Importantly, the car’s bulkhead, engine, and chassis all bear correct numbers for the original S, and they are original to the car.
More recently, the Miura has been restored in its SV configuration by noted marque specialist Colin Clarke Engineering. Suspension, steering, brakes, and hubs were all rebuilt to concours condition, and all components have been properly and correctly finished. An exhaustive overhauling of the wiring, dashboard instruments, supply lines, and tyres was undertaken, and the steering and suspension have all been laser-aligned. The body was beautifully refinished in the factory colour of Blu Notte, and it has black leather upholstery of the correct pattern and correct carpets. The Miura also has its original front windscreen and side glass, which remain in excellent condition. The SV conversion and recent restoration work undertaken has cost approximately £100,000.
This Miura is beautifully presented and ready for show. It is a rare configuration that has the highest possible performance and the most beautiful colours. It is as exciting today as it must have been for its original owner, “Rod the Mod”, back in 1971.
Lot #34 – 2008 Peugeot 908 HDi FAP Le Mans Prototype
Fourtitude’s take: Hello Newman… Yes, this is not an Audi but one of Audi’s arch rivals. Even still, it’s rare that you see a diesel-powered LMP1 go on the market. The R10 TDIs sold to Kolles for their independent Le Mans effort are the only diesel-powered Audi LMPs to ever be sold by Ingolstadt and the Peugeot factory has been similarly acute in its own sales of these cars. We feel that any of these cars going on the market is of great interest to our readers, and given the level of engineering required to even run such a car, we’re also most curious who would buy it.
Chassis no. 908-05
Engine no. 907B
700+ bhp, 5,500 cc twin-turbocharged dual overhead-camshaft V-12 engine, six-speed sequential manual paddle-shift gearbox, independent front and rear double-wishbone suspension, and four-wheel hydraulic ventilated disc brakes. Wheelbase: 2,950 mm
One of two chassis built for the 2008 season
Second overall at the 2008 24 Hours of Le Mans
Winner of the 2009 Petit Le Mans and the 2010 Algarve 1000 KM
Three 2nd place finishes, three pole positions, and four fastest laps
Ground-breaking HDi FAP clean-exhaust diesel-powered V-12
Owned and raced by Team Peugeot Total
Offered directly from the Peugeot factory
Few prototype race cars in recent memory have achieved their mission statement as emphatically as Peugeot’s 908 HDi FAP. The sleek prototype emerged from the manufacturer’s plans to return to endurance racing after a 13-year layoff that followed its two-time Le Mans-winning 905 model of 1992 and 1993. But from its initial conceptual presentation in 2005, it was quite clear that not only was the 908 HDi FAP engineered to win, it was to do so in dramatic, technological fashion, with a cutting-edge, environmentally sound, diesel-powered V-12 that employed an exhaust particulate filter for remarkably clean emissions. Although such a concept seems obligatory in today’s eco-savvy consumer market, this was quite a ground-breaking approach to racing even just 10 years ago.
Following a static introduction at the 2006 Paris Motor Show, the 908 HDi FAP was a winner from the get-go, as it took the chequered flag in its debut at Monza in April 2007. In June, two cars (chassis numbers 02 and 03) were entered at the 24 Hours of Le Mans, with chassis number 03 taking 2nd overall. By the time the season wrapped up at Interlagos in November, the 908 HDi FAP had won the Le Mans Series of endurance racing events. When plans commenced the following year for the 2008 season, the priority on winning at La Sarthe in June was even higher, as it was one of the few season events that the 908 had not won outright.
The monocoque for chassis number 05 was built in late 2007, and it appeared as a complete race car at the 2008 Le Mans for the first official test session on 11 June. It was there in replacement of chassis 04, which was destroyed after a remarkable accident at a Le Mans test day 10 days earlier. Chassis 05 was the only new chassis raced at Le Mans that year alongside the 2007 chassis 02 and 03.
Chassis number 05, decorated with #07 and being driven for Team Peugeot Total by Nicolas Minassian, Marc Gene, and 1997 Formula One champion Jacques Villeneuve, came in 2nd overall, bested only by Audi’s dominant R10 TDI. At the Nürburgring 1000 KM in August, this 908 was again piloted by Gene and Minassian, with the former driver setting the pole time and the latter establishing a fastest lap. There, the car again came in 2nd place, this time following the 1st place finish of chassis number 03. At Silverstone a month later, chassis number 05 was unfortunately forced to retire early, after 45 laps, due to an entanglement with a Porsche GT3 RSR whilst Minassian was behind the wheel.
The following season would prove to be even more significant for this 908, even though it was only raced twice, as two newer chassis had been built that would field a majority of the season’s duties. Starting with the season opener at Sebring in March 2009, chassis number 05, still dressed as #07 and being driven by Christian Klien, Pedro Lamy, and Minassian, placed 5th. In September, changing to #08, the car then took the chequered flag at the Petit Le Mans, with Franck Montagny and Stephane Sarrazin behind the wheel.
In 2010, chassis 05 was entrusted to Oreca to compete in the LMS Championship. At the time, Team Peugeot Total was focusing on the new Intercontinental Le Mans Cup (ILMC). Oreca had started the season racing chassis 02, but it finished the last three races of the season in this chassis 05, finishing 1st overall at the Algarve 1000 KM at Portimao in July, this time wearing #04 and being piloted by Nicolas Lapierre, Olivier Panis, and Sarrazin. Following a disappointing 31st place showing at the Hungaroring 1000 KM in August, which was due to a faulty bevel gear, chassis number 05 bounced back in September 2010 with a 2nd place finish at Silverstone, where it was once again driven by Lapierre and Sarrazin.
This marked the conclusion of the car’s racing career, as the factory withdrew from campaigning the successful 908 HDi FAP following the 2010 season. Without a doubt, chassis number 05 was a strong contributor to the 908’s overall record of victory, as it helped Peugeot win three team championships, three Constructors’ Championships, and two Drivers’ Championships in a span of just four years.
Chassis number 05’s current availability marks only the second time that a 908 HDi FAP has been publicly offered. In addition to its outrageous performance on the track, this car also boasts a certain rarity, as it is one of only nine chassis that were actively campaigned by the factory team between 2007 and 2010. Claiming two overall victories, three 2nd place finishes, three pole positions, and four fastest laps, this sensational and technologically innovative piece of racing history represents an important chapter in Peugeot’s considerable competition pedigree. Chassis number 05 offers serious race car collectors and historic racing participants the opportunity to acquire one of the Le Mans-prototype class’s most successful and unique entrants—a marvel of both ferocious competitiveness and brilliant green engineering.Firing up and running this vehicle calls for specific equipment, third-party software licences, and skills. The seller commits to providing the necessary technical support for a period of two years. This service will be provided at Peugeot Sport’s normal rates for technical support.Competition history for this car can be found in both RM’s print and digital catalogues.
RM Auctions Paris – Event Details
Sale dates: February 5; auction commences at 7:00 p.m. CET
Preview dates: February 4–5; see website for time details
Location: Place Vauban, Paris, 75007 France
Admission: The purchase of an official auction catalogue for €100 admits two to the previews, reception, and auction. Bidder registration is €120 and includes an auction catalogue and admission for two to the previews, reception, and auction.
For those unable to attend the event in person, Internet, absentee, and phone bidding options are available, and the auction will stream live at rmauctions.com to provide real-time coverage of the sale.
For further sale information, or to view the catalogue, please visit www.rmauctions.com or call RM’s London office at +44 (0) 20 7851 7070.
The post Horch 853A, Ex-Rod Stewart Lamborghini Miura, Peugeot 908 LMP1 plus More Slated for RM Auctions Paris Sale appeared first on Fourtitude.com.