2013-07-21

Welcome to the first Stick Arena Moderator/Community Playday! Join the moderators as we set aside an afternoon to play with you guys.

When: Sunday, August 4th, starting at 2 PM EDT. Note: This is still subject to change, and will likely be flexible until July 30. If you are unsure about your time zone, see the map below (credit: Targex).

Spoiler!

If you are still confused about your time zone, feel free to PM me.

Where: SA Classic Server: Cartesian Republic

Why: We want to interact with you guys! We have somewhat neglected the community lately, and would like to show everyone that yes, we still exist, and yes, we still care about the game. We have decided to use the classic server for this event because that is where most of the mods, as well as the current community, "grew up" on Stick Arena.

What incentive do I have for coming? Besides getting to talk to your favorite moderators and play some rounds of Stick Arena with them (because that will totally make all of you come out to play with us..), we'll also have prizes consisting of credits and lab pass days! Yes, that's right - for coming out to play with us and participate in our event you can earn creds and days! Muhaha, we bribe you with cookies. In all seriousness though, the prizes are mostly going to be for events of a non-competitive nature. The point of our community playday is to bring the community and moderators together, and promoting it through prizes for being better than someone else at pointing and clicking defeats the purpose.

I mentioned in the community playday discussion thread that I like the idea of having "silly" prizes, like the first person in a certain round to kill Ryan with a hammer. I thought some more about this, and decided that we will have the moderators choose what prizes they want to give out in their games. So for example, someone like Ryan, who may not want to play something very competitive, might choose to give a cred prize out to the person who gets the last kill on him in an FFA round. Someone like me, for example, might take a partner like Ava, and offer a (hefty?) prize to a team that can beat us in 2v2 or CTF or even Search and Destroy!

Basically, whenever a moderator feels like having a challenge for a prize, he or she can state it and award it (by reporting the person's name and prize won to me). This gives us the greatest amount of flexibility and will allow for some potentially hilarious and memorable awards to be given out, making the day enjoyable and fun for the entire community.

Some more details: See the below table for my proposed number of cred and lab pass prizes to be given out. The lab pass prizes, as the community has suggested, will not be given out for events of a competitive nature. Rather, these prizes will be awarded to players who show exceptional sportsmanship among other things. One such thing, for example, might be filling out the whenisgood poll I posted here and showing up at the event whether you marked the time as available for you or not.

Attachment 10143
A table detailing potential prizes to be given out during the Community Playday. Each row indicates a particular award. The leftmost column in each table indicates the number of creds or lab pass days given out for that particular reward, the center column indicates how many of that prize we (tentatively!) intend to give out.

REMEMBER: The table above is tentative, and is subject to change.

Maps: Any map that moderators deign worthy of being played on will be fair game for both gameplay and prize-winning.

As the proposed date for the playday is still about two weeks in the future, I'm very willing to further discuss the logistics of the event in this thread. Should anyone have objections about anything posted here, please mention them to me in this thread and offer a logical argument about why we should do it your way rather than what we've suggested so far.

I'm also trying to see if we can have a lab pass weekend sort of deal for the weekend of this event - this would circumvent VIP'ing issues that we're likely to face if we have a bunch of non-LP users turn up.

Attached Images

Show more