2014-10-25

Level one
Two minutes later.

Director Tarno was on his way back to his office after leaving the lab when his cellphone went off in his pocket.

He pulled it out and saw that it was his personal assistant Kita Posner calling.

“Yes Mrs Posner?”

“Hello Director I just got a call from Secretary Stamper of the U.S. Department of Energy, he’s requesting a videoconference with you about the hyperdrive engine we got from the Keldans.”

“Patch him through to my office, I will be there shortly.”

“I’ll get right on it sir.”

“Thank you,” Tarno replied then hung up.

Shortly after concluding his phonecall, he arrived in his office and found Secretary Stamper waiting for him on his computer screen.

“Greetings Mr. Secretary.”

“Good afternoon Director.”

“I guess I can now consider your agency as the third U.S. government agency with an interest in the Keldan hyperdrive?”

“Not so much the engine itself but rather the source of energy that powers it.”

“One of my teams has started analyzing it to figure out its point or origin.”

“Well I hope your team figures out it soon because we at the DOE are very excited at the prospect of discovering an offworld energy source that could be put to good use in not just the United States, but on planet Earth as a whole.

“I wouldn’t get your hopes up just yet, any initial gains made from this discovery presuming that they are made will end up in the hands of NASA and the military for the development of more powerful hyperdrives for their ships. Plus it’s not known if the energy used to make better hyperdrives can be used as fuel for cars or electricity for powerplants.”

“I’m well aware of that, but the prospects of discovering an offworld energy source and reaping great benefits from it are just too big to dismiss. We wish to be kept apprised of all your department’s research regarding the energy source.”

“Rest assured that you be kept in the lope just like NASA and the DOD are.”

“Thank you Director,” Secretary Stamper replied then switched off the screen.

Dr. Humphrey’s lab
9:00PM

Director Tarno came back down to the lab as Dr. Humphrey and his team were packing up their equipment for the day with the exception of a machine that was still analyzing the energy sample retrieved from the Keldan hyperdrive as the computer it was connected to was running through numerous solar systems trying to find the one that contained the energy source.

“So, I take you guys didn’t have any luck figuring out the point of origin today?”

“Afraid not Director, we’ve had that analysis machine running all day and not a single match. We will keep it on for as long as it takes,” Dr. Humphrey replied.

“I did say that it might take a couple of days but part of me was hoping that we would make a breakthrough much earlier.”

“I was hoping for the same thing too, but I knew it was a long shot since we’re dealing with the unknown Dr. Hue. Well, have good night and I will see you all in the morning.”

“Thank you Director, you do the same,” Dr. Bradley replied.

Everyone else bid Director Tarno farewell for the night then left.

After checking to see that nothing was left out of place, Director Tarno exited the lab then pulled his PDA from his coat pocket and typed in the master code that sealed it shut.

Every lab at the Advanced Technologies Department had an individual master code known only to the director and he was required to use them to seal the labs at the end of each day.

The labs were also covered by security cameras and alarm systems.

As director Turner headed towards the exit to go to his on-base house, a team of twenty heavily armed men consisting of ten soldiers and ten members from Area 51s very own private security force made their way into lobby and from there would begin their night patrols of the building.

Upon walking out to head to his car in the parking lot, Tarno saw more soldiers and members of the Area 51 security force on patrol.

The sight of them wasn’t unusual to him. After all, Area 51 was a military base first and foremost but with multiple high level departments such as his own, the Department of Space-fleet Acquisitions, the Special Weapons R&D Department, The Air Forces flight test area, the Biological Science Department and so on.

Some of the personnel from the various departments lived on base so they could remain close to their work while others were commuted to and from the base at the start and end of each work day via unmarked airliners and buses.

Tarno started up his car and drove up to the security gate where his car was scanned by automated sensors. Anyone coming or going from any of the on base departments was scanned to make sure they weren’t bringing anything suspicious or dangerous in or trying to leave out with something stolen from the labs.

The sensors also scanned the occupants in a vehicle too and Director Tarno was no exception.

In a tightknit place like Area 51, nothing was left to chance.

“Alright sir, the vehicle and personal scans turned up clean. You’re good to go, have a good night.”

“Thank you Sergeant,” Tarno replied then the gate was raised and he drove away.

He drove three and a quarter miles before reaching the sign that said this way to base housing and made a right.

So far, he hadn’t encountered any other vehicle on the road which was well lit by the streetlights shining overhead.

Eighteen minutes later, he arrived at his house and pulled up in the driveway.

Unfortunately for him, he didn’t have any time for R&R because he had to be work at 0400 hours so the first he did upon entering the house and reaching the bathroom was removing his suit then took a shower before heading off to bed.

Chapter 2 coming soon.

Show more