2014-05-28

Hello fellow TBrickers, I'm a longtime lurker and half-decade+ 242 owner.

I just wanted to submit my Smog results FWIW to show support for the [Stock, N/A] K-Jet enthusiasts, and show just how clean a 450K+mile K-Jet can burn! While I appreciate all fuel mixture systems and I know people do have their preferences depending upon application,

I must declare that K-Jet indeed has a good place in this world...K-Jet FTW:cool:

Things done 2 years ago besides OCI's and brakes: New Fuel Distributor Boot, TB Cleaning, TB gasket, intake manifold gasket, new updated Volvo NIB OEM Engine Wiring Harness.

Things done to car in the last year besides OCI's:Timing Belt, Plugs, Wires, Cap, Rotor, new exhaust manifold studs, gasket, and DP gasket, new injector seals and holders, cleaned injector seats and injector stems/bodies with diluted Orange TKO and shop towels,

NTK O2 sensor (Thank you Louie and crew at All Car Parts in Canoga Park, CA),

IPD 2-1/4" Catback kit with resonator delete and Carflow brand Cat(Thank you to Morse Muffler in Burbank, CA for the welding, careful install/spacing, and helpful consultation!).

Oil change of Kendall GT 1 Liquid Titanium 20W50 with Mahle filter and full tank of 91 Chevron since yesterday.

For all you locals, FWIW I went to DeYoung's Automotive in Canoga Park , CA, a place I've been going since 2008. I've noticed that many vintage/Muscle cars and many numbers of fleet vans from the local cable provider have been there for for regular service repeatedly over the years. The first time I went, the tech Jack said he trimmed a couple ends of cracked vacuum hoses for me so I would pass, that was very helpful of him and I appreciated that little extra so I kept going back even when I moved. (This was before I learned more about my engine, I've since redone all my vacuum hoses right up to the climate control inlet.) This year Leonard helped me, he was very friendly and said he recognized my car by the hifi speakers seat-belted into the back seat. :lol:

It seems like as long as you know what you're talking about, the guys over there will reciprocate with respect. My personal and humble experience with DeYoung's has been positive and I hope anyone who chooses this establishment for whatever reason has the same or better experience themselves. Lastly, thank you to the crew at DeYoung's Automotive!

P.S. For anything but smog (Oil changes,Main Engine Harness replacement, brakes, custom K-Jet Fuel Distributor mounts which stay together!, and other major work not including removing an alternator, I have been confidently going to Action Volvo in Reseda (thank you Janusc, Freddy and Rufino!) for the last 5 years. That and Mark's Independent Volvo in Chatsworth are the only local places I know and trust for any Volvo-specific repairs and maintenance for which I'm uncomfortable or unequipped to perform or when I just want to let the shop handle proper disposal of my used fluids.:oogle:

I may be handy, yet after enough trouble, I'm also smart enough to know when to pay someone who is overqualified compared to me to perform certain tasks! lol

The Results:

15mph (1767RPM) 14.8%CO2, 0%O2, 28 PPM HC, .04%CO, 87 PPM NO

25mph (2901RPM) 14.8%CO2, 0%O2, 17 PPM HC, .03%CO, 19 PPM NO

This is *orders of magnitude* better than my 2010 and 2012 tests across the board and if I ran these same numbers on my mom's 2008 2.5L Altima it would've passed fine and with slightly better %CO2 even. Yes I realize different years have different maximums.

The Altima passed anyway I was just providing a modern reference.

Now...about that High Emitter Profile......:-P

Show more