2013-07-04

I'm running hmailserver on uniserver and using roundcube as webmail. I wonder which one give max limits on upload size. I thought it is by php.ini

I believe the maximum size of file upload should be set on php.ini. default is 10mb. On hmailserver itself I do not see the setting max for attachment limit. I wonder what is the max limit of file upload attachment? Is it unlimited?

My system is windows xp 32 bit. hard disk ntfs.

Is it the same limitation number as int32 limitation? Is it also limited by single file size suported by ntfs? "max message size" as far as I know is limited to 2147483647 MB which is a maximum value for a 32-bit signed integer supported by SQL database for 32bit Operating System.

While there is a limitation of ntfs on Windows XP 32bit which is:

1-using 64 kB clusters, the maximum Windows XP NTFS volume size is 256 TBs minus 64 KBs. Using the default cluster size of 4 kB, the maximum NTFS volume size is 16 TB minus 4 kB.

2-the maximum NTFS file size is 16 TB minus 64 kB

As a conclusion, the maximum supported size for max message size logically is "16TB minus 64kb". While my Hard drive only have 500GB let's say free space is 250GB. So, I conclude it is maximum limit of 250GB single file "max message file".

My concern right know is not "max message file", it's a question of maximum upload of attachment size limitation since I want to write a report of it for my studies. For one email(ignore sending/receiving success or fail), what is the maximum limit of single file attachment size can we set on php.ini that can be uploaded?

Under php.ini:

Quote:

; Maximum allowed size for uploaded files.

; http://www.php.net/manual/en/ini.cor...d-max-filesize

upload_max_filesize = 10M

As from reference link:

Quote:

upload_max_filesize integer

The maximum size of an uploaded file.

When an integer is used, the value is measured in bytes. Shorthand notation, as described in this FAQ, may also be used.

And integer limitation for 32bit system:

Quote:

The size of an integer is platform-dependent, although a maximum value of about two billion(2147483647) is the usual value (that's 32 bits signed).

I agree, set up to that max is totally crazy. But in theory it can be set to that maximum where the upload single attachment file size maximum allowed is 2147483647 MB right? Correct me if I'm wrong.

But then, the success of the upload limited by timeout of the upload process. I thought it's true that if the upload process is taking so much time for that maximum size(2147483647 MB) the upload process will fail. So, what's is the timeout limit exactly? Any reference?

Limitation that I know right now is:

1-maximum integer number for 32 bit system = 2147483647

2-maximum NTFS file size 16 TB minus 64 kB

3-Hard drive available space

4-Timeout?

Thanks in advance.

Show more