2015-12-02

Spent a lot of time researching and planning out a build- but I will probably never get to do it (health reasons)- so I thought I would post it up here, maybe someone can take the idea and run with it or maybe some of the ideas would be useful to others for other projects.

I have always liked cars more than trucks or vans- but have always needed the utility that a truck/ van offers. We have an A4 wagon and it gets used as a utility wagon- but lacks capacity.

I looked at a few different cars but thought the early Allroad would be the best fit bc;

- air suspension (add air to the rear when loaded)

- size of the car (more room between rear shock towers than a A4)

- Quattro

- available in manual trans

- has a powerful engine

- cheap for what you get.

Most of the cars turned into Utes lack proper proportion. The best example I have seen is of course Applebee's M-Ute. They stretched the car between the B pillar and the rear wheels. A lot of work for little more room- but completely changes the look/ proportion. The M-Ute was a bit more performance based, I want a more utility based Ute. One that can be used daily year round.

The M-Ute was built by a custom shop with no expense spared. I would like to create something along the same lines as far as quality/ proportion- but keep the cost low.

Also seen the blue Allroad- but wasn't a fan of how much space it took to make the rear hatch work, didn't like the angle either it threw the proportion off. Nice work building it though!

Few different ideas- but I will stick with my current set up;

- To make a back wall for the 'cab' of the Ute I was going to take the rear hatch from a Dodge Nitro. Once welded onto the Ute the rear glass would flip up to give access to the bed.

- The stretch would be accomplished by using a donor Allroad. After cutting the roof off- cut the Allroad in two- across the floor in front of the rear seat- take the front doors off the donor remove the windows and frames and bolt them to the rear-door, door post. That is how much longer the Allroad Ute will be. Now cut the donors front floor with both B pillars out of the donor and fit and weld it to the Ute. You should have a front end with 4 front doors on it- that all close. Reattach the rear of the Allroad. Now use tubing to attach the Allroads original B pillar to the donors B pillar you added and to the rear suspension point and right to the back end. Wrap it around like a roll bar along the back of the cab that turns into a bed rail. It would give lots of extra rigidity to it and somewhere to attach stuff. Could also triangulate the tubing within the quarter and door to provide more strength.

- By using the front floor/ B pillar section from the donor- you could make a bigger trunk area out of the space left in front of where the rear seat would be and the stretched portion from the donor. Make it accessible either from inside like El Caminos or a door in the bed floor like Applebee's M-Ute- or split it half and half.

* I do realize that there is wiring, drive shaft, brake/ fuel lines and a bunch of other stuff that needs to be lengthened/ sorted.

- For the bed floor and walls get a piece of 1/4" aluminum bent into a box with top rails that cap the top of the bed sides and hide the cuts (like an over the rail bed liner). Install nut-zerts and bolt the box in- that way it can be unbolted and removed to work on it.

- The tailgate is something I haven't figured out yet. I want it to function like a pick up trucks but would like to maintain the lines and look of the Allroad rear end including the rear bumper bc it wraps around the sides. I guess I could always just use the corners. So far I was thinking of making a tail gate from a Colorado or another truck work.

- I want to be able to use a bed slide that extends out when the gate is opened.

- Would eventually put full ladder racks extending over the roof on the Allroad. Maybe a full roof basket. Would be nice for carrying loads or for a roof top tent.

Anyways- I will probably add to this original post as I remember stuff. Feel free to add pics and info. Would love to see this built even if I don't get to build it!

Show more