2015-07-18

I'm still pondering what (if anything) to do about the audio system in my car. From the data card, I have the following options fitted:

527 - COMAND Cockpit Management and Navigation system (COMAND APS) - incorporating radio, single CD/DVD* drive in centre console with compass

819 - CD changer in glove compartment - 6 disc

810 - Harmon/Kardon LOGIC 7 surround sound system

864 - Rear entertainment system (2 screens integrated in the rear of front headrests, DVD-Player and 2 headphones)

386 - Telephone pre-wiring with hands-free facility. (NOTE: I do not have a cradle or Bluetooth unit fitted to this at the moment)

The COMAND system is NTG2 which although OK, is not the best system in the world, and coming from the NTG 4.5 in my E-Class, I do notice the difference! I have looked at the mCar unit and it looks quite good, but not the cheapest thing, and it only has a 2GB storage capacity (external)

One alternative that I would prefer is to upgrade to the NTG2.5 unit which would give me 4GB music register plus SD card, Bluetooth phone integration and 7 digit postcode for the sat nav.

What I’m not so sure about is whether this is possible / practical with options I have, in particular the RSE and Premium Sound. I don’t mind if I lose the Premium Sound and just have normal stereo sound, but I would like to keep the RSE working.

I’m also open to other suggestions such as aftermarket units that will integrate, but probably not ones that don’t look the part (i.e. not a unit where the whole head unit is a big display – I prefer the ones that maintain the basic look and feel of COMAND)

At the moment I use an old Windows Phone plugged into the Aux socket as I can pin all my albums to the start screen. Sound quality is fine, but visibility of the screen can be difficult in bright light and it doesn't pause sound when traffic reports come on and it's not easy to quickly pause "blind" while I'm watching the road. It is however extremely low cost!!!

Any information, advice, pointers gratefully received

Bill

Show more