mobo- ASRock Z77 Pro3

cpu- i5 3570k

gpu- HIS 6570 Silence 2GB DDR3 PCI-E DVI/HDMI/VGA

RAM- 16GB

RAID card- 3Ware 9650SE-24M8 24-port

10TB Raid 5 only using 12 disks right now

OS disk- 320gb SSD

Win7-64 running the following:

Plex (serving anywhere from 0-3 local or remote clients at once, include often transcoding)

BlueIris w/ 5 Hikvision 1080p cams @ 20fps

HS3Pro

Other than some driver issues it's been running solid for over 3 years. The problem is I'm out of storage space for my ever growing media collection. My plan is to get rid of the hardware RAID in favor of running the latest unRAID, that way I can add another 12 drives for storage. unRAID supports Docker containers which I may use for Plex Media Server, and it also can support VMs. I was going to run BlueIris, Plex Home Theater, and HS3Pro on a win7 VM...or maybe split them up and have them each on their own VM depending on how well things work. I have never actually created or used a VM so that part will be a learning experience but I'm pretty tech savvy so I think I'll be fine.

Does anyone see any issues with this plan? Are there any known issues with running HS3 on a VM? Anything that I should be thinking about going into this to get it all set up right? Anyone else doing this and using unRAID as the hypervisor?

Will I be able to just carry my existing HS3Pro config over to the new installation?

Show more