2014-09-09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayhawker

No need to stand in line....you can do it on line and it's actually quite painless....however...you need to get your application in 4 MONTHS prior to your 62ndBirthday....http://www.ssa.gov/

Thanks, but is that link the official SS site? I went to get an online account setup and to calculate my benefits I should receive next year. I understand they want want your SS # address and all.

Then they asked for a cell phone number for added security so they can text you a one time pin to log on with each time you go there, sounds good, my credit union sends me an email with a pin each time I log on I have to use for added security.

But they also want the last 10 digits of your Visa/Master Charge card??? They say to verify you are who you say you are and they make "Soft Inquiries" to your credit report to verify it's your phone number.

Am I missing something, is this a scam or the GOVT or someone Phishing for data on us. It doesn't seem kosher to me. It asked for the CC number just when you click for the text message extra security option.

The link you posted does look legit and the SS admin does offer online services like applying for a new or lost SS card/estimator/benefit applications. Am I being too cautious?

Is there a way to verify this link/site as legitimate?

Maybe I'll just drive to the nearest SS office 3 months out from my 62nd Birthday.

Show more