2016-06-20

Sup dudes. Launched from Dania pier at 4:00AM on a solo mission to catch gogs and try for a wahoo. I sat at the balls (mooring buoys) off John U Loyd park for about 30 minutes with two different sabikis and didn't see a gog or even a grunt. Not willing to risk getting skunked I headed back to Dania pier before it opens at 6AM (before people start yelling and throwing shiat). My chum bag was pretty much pointless since all of the pilchards were balled up near the pier. I caught a dozen nice lively pilchards and a couple 3" goggle eye.

I should note that the parking meters at Dania Pier would not allow me to pay for parking at 4AM. They read "rate unavailable" So, I had to jump out of the kayak and pay for parking after I caught bait. Pain in the arse.

Without gogs or runners wahoo fishing was questionable. After trying live pichards + jigging from about 90-200' I gave up and went bottom fishing. I headed to a bottom spot off Dania. I hauled in a nice gag on the second drop of my mullet colored 230 gram "rudo" Jimy jig. Caught a few micro BFTs and took a couple home.

On the way back I ran into a pod of borderline clingy dolphins, "Clinger. Stage 5!". I had to leave them. Not the other way around. They seemed to want to follow me around all day. Paling around with a huge school of dolphins is not good for fishing! Good times. Still no wahoo.

Pic and video below. Disclaimer: video intro music is a bit over the top for a kayak fishing video, but it is royalty free!

Gag Grouper 6.18.2016.jpg

Attached Images

Gag Grouper 6.18.2016.jpg
(89.3 KB)

Show more