2017-01-06

Hello all. Sorry to ask questions that may be well worn.

1. Can the Metronome be set to MIDI Output (for example, to trigger notes on MIDI Channel 10)? It appears to be audio only.

2. I have a Roland FA 06 which acts as both a MIDI and Audio interface.

Right now, any audio coming out of Reaper goes back to the FA, and I can monitor on headphones just like any other standalone interface.

However, I'd like the audio to play back out of my Mac Book Pro, or for example, maybe a bluetooth speaker I have connected, rather than using the audio outputs of the FA keyboard going to a couple of monitors (which I don't have).

I see there's a check box for allowing additional outputs, but it says "not recommended". I tried it, and got no sound and just saw LED meters going crazy. I'm using OS 10.6.8 and Reaper 5.31.100 BTW.

I'd like to be able to monitor from the phones from the FA, but from the laptop and maybe bluetooth as well without doing too much switching as mixes sound different.

3. Being familiar with Sequencing software and DAWs from way back, including Cubase LE and Cubase 5, Logic Pro X, Garageband, Pro Tools, and years ago Performer (before it was Digital Performer!) I've been poking around in the program and feeling my way - I'm figuring most things out - there are just SO many features it's hard to remember where to find things.

I've recorded MIDI and messed around with it, and have some sub-questions:

A. Can you Quantize on input, or only after notes are recorded?

B. There seem to be indications that you can loop record or cycle record (to build a drum loop for example) but I don't see any way to do it. I did "overdub" MIDI into existing tracks but the "repeat" function doesn't "cycle" back to the beginning like I'd expect.

C. When I select an item in the Piano Roll editor, I'd like to raise it or lower it in pitch by half steps using the arrow keys. It works on the numeric keypad for 8 and 2. But I'd rather have it on the arrows (which zoom essentially). Possible?

4. I toyed with the layout and worked with various setups for ins and outs tonight and found my way around those features. I'm just wondering the best "workflow" for saving those settings. For example, right now, every time I create a new track, the output is not assigned and I have to do it manually.

Should I create everything I need and save it as a template, or is there a way to have it save my settings to that every time I start a new project any tracks I create will automatically have the right routing - for example, one time I might want two MIDI tracks and two audio tracks, and another time I might want 4 of each.

5. Finally, Virtual Instruments - there appear to be 3. None of them have any presets. 1, for example, is a simple synth that seems to always put out a Sine wave no matter what, and you can add saw, pulse, triangle, and an additional sine wave (which can also be detuned). I enjoy making up my own patches, but it's also nice to have cool-sounding presets.

Is that all you get?

If so, I assume I can download VST and AU 3rd party Virtual Instruments. Found some free ones from KVR years ago that were really nice. I'm considering reaper because of price, so the more bang for the buck (i.e. free) I can get, the better ;-)

TIA

Show more