2016-03-02

Tony Warren, the Coronation Street creator and "father" of the long-running show, has died aged 79.

ITV confirmed with "great sadness" that the "legendary" and "acclaimed" writer passed away on Tuesday night following a short illness.

A spokesman said he was surrounded by his "loving friends".

Warren devised the idea for soap at the age of 24 at the very beginning of his writing career and was a regular visitor to the soap's set in Trafford, Greater Manchester.

Ken Barlow actor William Roache, who had worked with Warren since Coronation Street's first episode on December 9 1960, said he was the "father" of the soap.

Set in the fictional northern English town of Weatherfield - which is based on Salford, Greater Manchester - Coronation Street is the world's longest-running TV soap opera and is now a significant part of British culture.

Coronation Street creator Tony Warren dies aged 79

ITV confirms with 'great sadness' that writer who devised idea for soap aged 24 has passed away as stars pay tribute to the 'father' of show

Tony Warren Photo: Rex Features

By Danny Boyle

02 Mar 2016

The Telegraph

Tony Warren, the Coronation Street creator and "father" of the long-running show, has died aged 79.

ITV confirmed with "great sadness" that the "legendary" and "acclaimed" writer passed away on Tuesday night following a short illness.

A spokesman said he was surrounded by his "loving friends".

The soap's Twitter account posted an image of Warren on the set of the Rovers Return:

View image on Twitter

Follow

Coronation Street ✔
‎@itvcorrie

It's with great sadness that Coronation Street confirms legendary creator & writer Tony Warren,MBE has passed away.

10:53 AM - 2 Mar 2016

349 152

Warren devised the idea for the Weatherfield soap at the age of 24 at the very beginning of his writing career and was a regular visitor to the soap's set in Trafford, Greater Manchester.

Ken Barlow actor William Roache, who had worked with Warren since Coronation Street's first episode on December 9 1960, said he was the "father" of the soap.

"When I first met Tony I couldn't quite believe he'd created and written Coronation Street because he was no more than a young boy," he said.

"It was his boyish energy even recently when I saw him again that I'll remember. I loved Tony's energy. He was the father of Coronation Street and he gave us all so much.

"He will be so desperately missed because of who he was and what he did. We owe him so much."

Having been on our screens since December 9 1960, Coronation Street, set in the fictional northern town of Weatherfield, is the world's longest-running TV soap opera

Violet Carson who played Ena Sharples and Tony Warren pictured in 1962 Photo: Rex Features

Tony Warren speaks to the Queen during a Royal visit to the set of Coronation Street in 1982 Photo: Rex Features

Tony Warren Photo: Rex Features

In a statement, ITV said: "It is with great sadness that Coronation Street confirms legendary creator and acclaimed writer Tony Warren MBE passed away peacefully last night surrounded by his loving friends, aged 79, after a short illness."

Coronation Street creator Tony Warren dies aged 79 - Telegraph

Show more