2014-05-31

I recently received a used Nook color from a family member. They had bought a new tablet, and didn't need the Nook any longer. The problem with the NC, however, is it would no longer turn on or even charge. After opening the back (and thus voiding the warranty), I discovered the wires connected to the power button had come loose. I reattached them, put the NC back together, plugged in the charger and turned it on. Everything seemed fine, until I tried to erase it.

I've tried several different attempts, from simply tapping 'erase and deregister' to holding the power and home buttons, and pretty much every other way B&N's tech support told me. Each time, I get the same error message telling me to try again or contact customer support.

Likewise, any changes I make to the Nook (wallpaper, deleting some of the previous owner's books, etc) revert back to the way they were before each failed attempt as well as after simply turning the Nook off and back on.

My computer will not recognize it as a mass usb storage device, nor will it install at all on the computer. Plug in the usb, and it shows up as 'unrecognized'

Finally, anytime I have an SD card plugged in, the NC blackscreens after about 5-10 mins. Requiring a quick reboot.

Now, B&N tells me the NC is pretty much trashed and that I need to upgrade to a new one. I refuse to believe this until I've tried every option I can find. So, if someone can give me any help on trying to get this thing fixed, I'd be greatly appreciated, or if I'd just be better off buying a new tablet. (probably won't be getting a new nook)

Show more