2016-12-31

A quick SOTC for the end of 2016. Happy to keep all of these, I think, but you never know do you? Not a great deal of description here – a little short of time – but some pretty pictures.

The watch I wore every day for about 7 years, because it was the only one I had. My grandad’s railway long service watch. A gold Smiths from the 1950’s. Still wear it sometimes and would never be parted from it.

A Jaeger LeCoultre Grandsport Reverso. The first ‘proper’ watch I bought with the insurance money after having a Bvlgari abomination stolen! Still the most comfortable bracelet ever.

A gold rolex tank watch from the 1930’s which I bought before having any real interest in watches at an antique fair. It’s a beautiful thing and recently had it refurbished. My daughter wears it now. The picture is before the refurb

An Omega Speedmaster ‘Ed White’ from the mid 1960’s. Lovely condition and patina. These really seem to have rocketed (no pun intended) in value since I bought it.

An Enicar Sherpagraph. Another very nice chronograph from the 1960’s.

Am Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch from the mid 1980’s. Very nice patina on this one which came with all original bracelet, paperwork and purchase receipt

A very nice vintage Seamaster from the 1960’s and the only watch I have on a nato.

Rolex 5513 from 1978 I think. Need to check. This watch has absolutely everything with it including all the boxes tags and paperwork, It’s just a great watch to own and gets worn a lot

An Omega Megaquartz from the early 1970’s with a stardust dial. Something a bit different and the only quartz watch I own. This one gets a lot of positive comments from people with no interest in watches.

Just a nice old gold Chronograph by Ultimor from the 1960’s, probably. What I like about watches like this is they can be had for very little money and yet are far more interesting and characterful than something modern for the same money.

I don’t really like big watches, but love this. Really like the idea that it was used for a purpose in its day – plus Jaques Cousteau had one!

1960’s Omega Seamaster dress watch with stunning linen dial. A birthday present from my mum.

I haven’t had many Rolex and this is the only Sea Dweller. It’s a 1665 ‘Great White’ and the patina is great.

A 5167 Patek Aquanaut. This is my third Aquanaut (my 7th Patek) and I’ll probably keep this one. What I like about this aside from it being great to wear and look at, is that it’s invisible to anyone who doesn’t know what it is.

This is my first and only Rolex Daytona, from 1973. The newer versions are superb, but I’ve never really hankered after one. I just love the simplicity of this. In lovely condition as well.

Probably a disappointing finish for you lot, but a watch I treasure the most. My dad used to wear this in the steelworks. He died 19 years ago and I found it in a drawer a couple of years ago where it sat for over 40 years, unworn and unwound. I gave it a wind and it fired up straight away and has kept perfect time ever since. As you may have gathered. I like watches with a past and a story to tell, and there's nothing better than when part of that story is yours.

That’s about it for now. I’m not really hankering after anything else, except maybe an older style Lange &Sohne 1815 Chronograph. But I’m sure there will be others to come.

Show more