2014-08-04

For all the jazz lovers out there I want to recommend this fantastic album by a quartet of really excellent musicians. Miguel Fernández, who I am honored to know personally, lives in Barcelona where he is co-proprietor of the best saxophone shop in northern Spain, Sax-On. Miguel is a native of Pamplona who graduated from Berklee magna cum laude after studying with Joe, Hal, Jerry and George among others.

For this album, recorded in NYC, he was joined by four stellar musicians: trumpeter Jason Palmer, pianist Leo Genovese, bassist Chris Lightcap and the amazing drummer Joe Hunt. in case you are unfamiliar with these players, Jason is a highly acclaimed trumpeter who has played with many major musicians, Argentine pianist Leo Genovese has been making waves with Joe Lovano, Jack DeJohnette and Esperanza Spalding, and Joe Hunt, a professor at the New England Conservatory, has played with George Russell, David Baker, john Handy, Stan Getz, Jim Hall, Gary Burton, Bill Evans and a raft of other greats over his long and still ongoing career.

I got this album in May and very truthfully I have been listened to it dozens of times since then because it is that good. I think you'll agree.

----------------------------------------

Quote:

"This is a first class REAL jazz record with exceptional playing by all the members featuring and very interesting compositions. Both Miguel and Jason really stand out for their content and communicative ideas. Highly recommended" -- Dave Liebman

https://miguelfernandez.bandcamp.com/ — with Dave Liebman.

Afrikan Blues 00:00 / 07:31

Digital Album

Includes unlimited streaming via the free Bandcamp app, plus high-quality download in MP3, FLAC and more.
Buy Now €5 EUR or more

Afrikan Blues CD SaxOn001Compact Disc (CD)

Digipack designed by Maria Bouza. Mastering by Toby Mountain at Northeastern Digital

Includes unlimited streaming of Afrikan Blues via the free Bandcamp app, plus high-quality download in MP3, FLAC and more.
ships out within 2 days
Buy Now €10 EUR or more

The Songs:

1-The Opener

2-Afrikan Blues

3-Júpiter I

4-Fuga

5-Maravilla

6-Mellow One

7-Agripa

8-Sé que te gusta, KBI

9-B Class

All music written by Miguel Fernández

The Team:

Jason Palmer, trumpet

Miguel Fernández , tenor sax

Leo Genovese, piano

Chris Lightcap, bass

Joe Hunt, drums
credits

released 30 April 2014

Recorded and mixed by Michael Marciano at Systems Two Studios, January 24th & 25th, 2013, NYC

Mastering by Toby Mountain at Northeastern Digital.

Produced by Miguel Fernández, Leo Genovese and Josué Pascual

Artwork: Ms. Bouza

tags: jazz improvised music jazz and improvised music Barcelona

https://www.facebook.com/miguelfernandezgroup?ref=br_tf

Show more