2013-09-18

I posted a similar thread on another forum over a week ago, and never got any responses. Probably should've posted it on an actual recording forum first for better results.

Like the title says, I'm trying to build a new DAW with a budget of roughly $2500. It's purpose will strictly be for both recording (instruments and vocals) and creating songs using vst/sample-based instruments. I'm just now really starting to get into all of this, but nevertheless I want to build a DAW that won't limit me once my skills catch up. After many late nights researching parts/opinions, I've started making a list of prospective components for the build. Hoping to get some feedback/push in the right direction before committing to it :)

Also, I'm trying to make this a silent PC build...

Here's what I've picked so far:

CPU: i7-4770k

MoBo: ASUS z87-pro

Case: Fractal Design Define R4

Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB (OS, Programs)

OCZ Vertex 4 128GB (Samples)

Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 7200 RPM (Recordings)

PSU: SeaSonic X-660 (80 PLUS Gold, SILENT, modular)

Optical: Asus DRW-24B1ST

Monitors: Yamaha HS50M Active Studio Monitors

Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK

With all of the parts listed above added up, I have about $1k left for RAM, audio interface, GPU, and anything else needed. My main focus is obviously on the RAM and interface.

Reasons for what I picked:

DAW benchmark showed that the i7-4770k performed second to the i7-3930k on this site, and many other forums have suggested that it is a great CPU for a new DAW build. The 3930k would be more desirable for performance, but as it's TDP is higher (more heat, more fans, more noise=higher electric bill/not silent PC), I decided to go with the next best option. Something a little disconcerting about the 4770k is that from what I've read many times, Haswell chips DO run HOT...

Hence the Phanteks cooler. Rated better than the Noctua NH-D14, which was suggested by MANY people as a great quiet cooling solution for the 4770k. Problem is the size of the cooler. It pretty much limits me to low profile RAM, which leads to one of my many unanswered questions:

What RAM should I be choosing?

I keep reading mixed reviews for the best memory manufacturers, so I don't know which one to go with. What I DO know is, RAM is extremely important in a DAW in regards to latency, quality/lifespan (obviously), and quantity, and not all RAM is created equally! What would be my best option for brand/model? The CPU only supports up to 1600MHz, and I'm looking to put 32GB (4x8GB) into the DAW since I will be dealing with a high vst/sample count, as well as RAM-hogging programs (EWQLSO, Hollywood Strings, The Grand 3, etc...)

Other questions:

Do I really need the unlocked multiplier CPU if I'm not planning on OCing? The price difference between the two isn't enough of a deal if K version has better performance.

I've read a few places that PCIe>Firewire>USB, and is the way to go for lowest latency with audio interfaces. MoBo doesn't come with firewire, but if PCIe is a best option for quality, that's not an issue. BTW, does USB3 compare to Firewire nowadays if I didn't go with PCIe interface for some reason? For PCIe, what would be a good pick that includes XLR, TRS, and MIDI inputs? For USB?

People say that the integrated graphics chip in a processor use up CPU resources/memory, but I've also heard that on the 4770k this isn't the case, so I wouldn't be needing a separate GPU (which would be adding more heat to the system).
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=125453 (post #21)

Is there any validity to this? If not, what would be a good GPU that could support 2 monitors, and run cool and quiet?

Two final questions (I'm sorry...they are a bit noobish): Do I need anything additional for the HS50Ms? I know they are active monitors, so they don't require a separate preamp, but do I need a different soundcard to get the full experience from them?

And as for soundcards, do I need to get one in addition to the PCIe interface, or do those typically contain a soundcard built into them?

Again, sorry for the ignorant questions. I'm still fairly new to audio recording/PC setups.

Thanks a million, guys!

Show more