2014-01-14

I have only been playing drums seriously for a couple years now and im at the point that im trying to upgrade to high end cymbals.

So far i have bought over 10 cymbals from guitar center and ended up returning all of them, im pretty set on zildjian just because a lot of the dummers i like use them ( Matt Greiner, Alex Shelnutt, Travis Barker ) Ive tried sets from $600-$1600 and cant seem to find a set up i like

What ive used:

A custom pack ( didnt like that every cymbal was bright)

22" K custom ride (i couldnt get a good crash out of it)

16" Dark K Crash

18" Dark K Crash

16" A custom Crash

18" A custom Crash

14" A custom hi hat

14" A masterworks hi hat

Sabian B8 Pros (Old Cymbals)

Here is what i want:

A hit hat mostly for washy open hits like in A day to remember, august burns red and other harder rock bands, however if i can accomplish this with a closed hi hat like punk rock (blink 182) id love it, but not at the cost of a good washy sound ( id rather buy 2 amazing sounding hi hats than 1 that does both jobs "okay")

1 Accent Crash to hit on transition and accents (ive been leaning towards the 16" A custom for this)

1 Constant Crash, i want a go to crash like most drummers when the hi hat isnt thick and deep enough something for the heavier parts thats low and constant. ( ive been leaning towards the 18" A custom)

1 Crash/Ride I love the sound of a good ride and bell, but the music i play calls for a crash on the ride more often, i cant seem to get the sound that the pros get out of crashing a huge ride, mine sounds almost like a gong rather than just a bigger crash cymbal. Alex shelnutt uses the 22" k ride and when i play it, it sounds terrible, is there a certain way to crash a ride im not aware of?

1 oriental china trash right now ive got an 18" the same one that matt greiner uses and i think im happy with it, but if you have advice on a better one feel free to express your opinions

Pretty much im looking for the sounds of the heavy rock stuff, i want an open hi hat to rely on for the softer stuff, a go to heavy crash to get a deeper drive and a ride for the breakdowns.

If you look at these 2 videos youll see what im talking about, the difference between the 2 is that Alex goes to the ride cymbal for the heavy stuff, but matt goes to the china and actually uses his ride to ride on. id prefer to have a set up like matt, but the ride of alex, which ive tried and it just doesnt seem to sound right

All in all im lost, please help i want to get serious about drumming and play live i will answer back to all quesitons asked.

Brandon

[Brandon, I removed the videos as they are direct advertisements. Please familiarize yourself with the forum rules. - Thx, Tom]

Show more