2014-04-07

Here is the scenario:-

- I have a desktop which has Win XP Home installed with SP1, SP2, and SP3, and all the latest XP security updates and patches from Microsoft.

Call this desktop "Target Desktop" for the purpose of this scenario.

- It is running the English version, successfully.

- I want to add another language option so that it can display other languages in addition to English (in e-mails, websites etc).

- But I do not have the original Win XP Home CD (which is required to install additional languages).

- I have an old Win XP Pro CD (on which it says: FOR DISTRIBUTION ONLY WITH A NEW PC). I also have an old XP Pro COA sticker with a Product Key. This CD came with for an old desktop purchased in mid-2002. So, it is unlikely that it contains SP2 and SP3.

- I have also downloaded from the official Microsoft Download Website onto a flash drive SP1, SP2, and SP3 as separate files.

My aims are:

a) upgrade this Target Desktop to Win XP Pro

b) install additional languages

Questions:

1. Can I upgrade the Target Desktop Win XP Home to Win XP Pro using the XP Pro CD?

2. Since the Target Desktop has SP1, SP2, SP3 and latest security updates and patches from Microsoft, if I upgrade this with Win XP Pro, do I have to reinstall SP1, SP2, SP3, etc.

3. After upgrading the Target Desktop, if I use Belarc Advisor to find out what other Microsoft patches are missing, can I get the Target Desktop to search the Microsoft Official Download Website for specific missing patches to install them?

4. What would happen if I - by accident, negligence, or ignorance - install a patch/update which has already been in place?

I appreciate your help. Many thanks!!!

Show more