IT Specialist (Customer Support)
The incumbent work involves the planning and delivery of customer support services. The primary duties and responsibilities include providing Point of delivery Care Customer Service, resolving customer related technical software and hardware problems in according with established policies and procedures of the specific VA facility assigned. Additional duties includes but not limited to the following:
* Diagnose, escalate, and/or resolve trouble tickets and perform maintenance on mini and micro based computer systems;
* Provides client application support for various devices;
* Installs and configures all VA approved software applications and customer hardware, troubleshoot and maintain all VA approved customer hardware and software applications;
* Performs system maintenance and repair activities as well as software and hardware enhancements for mini and micro based computer systems;
* Provides operational support of systems/pilot testing of new systems by doing baseline compliance, patch management, studying documentation provided with new or revised software and appropriately installing, monitoring disk space, use and capacity, and updating system files necessary to control all aspects of system operations and access;
* Maintains and supports telecommunications systems configuration related to Moves, Adds, and Change (MAC);
* Recommends new or revised operating procedures and controls. Documents solutions to problems and recommends fundamental changes to system configurations to prevent recurrences;
* Monitors system/device utilization and provides feedback on problematic trends and patterns;
* Maintains and support VOIP systems, Automated Call Distribution Systems, video endpoints, and virtual desktops;
* Configures access ports for connecting users' devices to the LAN;
* Coaches junior IT Specialists in resolving the highly complex IT problems and system issues. Suggests resolutions that are most likely to be used on a regular basis;
* Creates and maintains user file shares using approved processes and security controls as directed;
* Provides group and one-on-one systems/software applications training to customers as required;
* Maintains inventory of local application systems and software/hardware used to include maintaining AEMS/MERS and/or MAXIMO data files, routine inventory and validation of assets, reports of survey and proper data removal/hardware turn-in and associate paperwork;
* Racking, stacking, swapping and connecting equipment, monitoring status and performing other physical actions on the equipment as instructed by the service lines. Manages and maintains patch cables in facility computer equipment rooms and closets;
* Participates in OIT oriented Emergency preparedness activities;
* Performs account management on a regular basis. Trains lower graded IT Specialists in account management procedures.
Work Schedule:Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Position Description Title/PD#:IT Specialist (Customer Support)/15265-A
The City of Dayton is located in the beautiful rolling hills of Southwestern Ohio and is within an hour of Cincinnati and Columbus. The Dayton metropolitan area has five universities, affordable real estate, excellent school systems, museums, theaters, seasonal recreational opportunities, and is the home of Wright Patterson Air Force Base, and the National Museum of the U.S. Air Force. For more information about the Dayton area: http://www.daytoncvb.com.
This position is in the Office of Information Technology (OIT), Service Delivery and Engineering (SDE), Facility Operations and is located at the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), Dayton, Ohio.
As a VA professional, your opportunities are endless. With many openings in the multiple functions of VA, you will have a wide range of opportunities and leadership positions at your fingertips. Not only is it the largest, most technologically advanced integrated health care system in the Nation, but we also provide many other services to Veterans through the Benefits Administration and National Cemeteries. VA professionals feel good about their careers and their ability to balance work and home life. VA offers generous paid time off and a variety of predictable and flexible scheduling opportunities. For more information on the Department of Veterans Affairs, go tohttp://www.vacareers.va.gov/
Special Employment Consideration: VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply, including those eligible for hiring under 5 CFR 213.3102(u), Schedule A, Appointment of persons with disabilities [i.e., intellectual disabilities, severe physical disabilities, or psychiatric disabilities], and/or Disabled veterans with a compensable service-connected disability of 30% or more. Contact the Agency Contact on the last page of the JOA for information on how to apply under this appointment authority via the Selective Placement Coordinator.
For more information on the "Who may apply" eligibility requirements, please refer to theOHRM Status Candidates and Other Candidate Definitionsdocument.
* Qualifications & Evaluations
To qualify for this position, applicants must meet all requirements by the closing date of this announcement Tuesday, March 08, 2016
Specialized Experience: Experience must be IT related; the experience may be demonstrated by paid or unpaid experience and/or completion of specific, intensive training (for example, IT certification), as appropriate.
Examples of specialized experience includes an in-depth knowledge of organization's IT infrastructure, IT security principles and skill in applying customer support concepts and methods sufficient to install, configure, and test software on customer workstations. Comprehensive knowledge of an skill in applying IT methods and procedures for documenting resolutions, maintaining problem resolution databases, troubleshooting and data analysis techniques and coordinating customer support activities sufficient to receive, respond to and ensure complete resolution of the more complex Help Desk call. Skill in and ability to provide comprehensive software, IT systems or equipment guidance and/or training to enhance customer knowledge, as well as to prevent problematic recurrences of Help Desk inquiries. Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing, in order to present alternative resolutions to complex problems, as well as develop clear and concise IT reports and documentation.
(Examples of experience must be documented in your resume/KSAs including part-time/full-time; dates of experience, etc...We will not make assumptions of your experience).
For all positions individual must have IT-related experience demonstrating each of the four competencies listed below:
1. Attention to detail- Is thorough when performing work and conscientious about attending to detail;
2. Customer Service- Works with clients and customers (that is, any individual who use or receive the services or products that your work unit produces, including the general public, individuals who work in the agency, other agencies, or organizations outside the Government) to assess their needs, provide information or assistance, resolve their problems, or satisfy their expectations; knows about available products and services; is committed to providing quality products and services;
3. Oral Communication- Expresses information (for example, ideas or facts) to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information (for example, technical, sensitive, controversial); makes clear and convincing oral presentations; listens to others, attends to nonverbal cues, and responds appropriately;
4. Problem Solving- Identifies problems; determines accuracy and relevance of information; uses sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives, and to make recommendations.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE WILL NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE.
Applicant will be rated on the following competencies or knowledge, skills and abilities:
COMPETENCY 1- Ability to support installed operating systems, network systems, applications, protocols, and IT infrastructure;
COMPETENCY 2- Knowledge of the IT infrastructure and security principles, to install, configure and test software on customer workstations and peripheral devices;
COMPETENCY 3- Skill in applying customer support concepts, practices, and customer support technologies to evaluate and report trends and make recommendations;
COMPETENCY 4- Knowledgeable of IT methods and procedures to document problem resolution, troubleshooting, and data analysis;
COMPETENCY 5- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing;
COMPETENCY 6- Ability to provide software, IT systems, or equipment guidance and/or training to others;
If you are referred for consideration, you may be asked to submit additional job related information, which may include, but not limited to; responses to the knowledge, skills and abilities; completion of a work sample, and/or contact for an interview.
Your résumé and/or supporting documentation will be verified. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.
* Benefits & Other Info
* VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides an overview of the benefits currently offered:http://www.vacareers.va.gov/why-choose-va/benefits/index.asp.
VA supports the use of telework as a way to help attract and retain talented individuals in public service, increase worker productivity, and better prepare the agency to operate during emergencies.Â This position may be authorized for telework.Â Telework eligibility will be discussed during the interview process.
* How to Apply
* All applicants are encouraged to apply online.
To apply for this position, you must complete theView Occupational Questionnaireand submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below.
The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on Tuesday, March 08, 2016 to receive consideration.
1. To begin,click Apply Onlineto create a USAJOBS account or log in to your existing account. Follow the prompts to select your USAJOBS resume and/or other supporting documents and complete the occupational questionnaire.
2.Click Submit My Answersto submit your application package.
NOTE: It is your responsibility to ensure your responses and appropriate documentation is submitted prior to the closing date.
To verify your application is complete, log into your USAJOBS account,https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login, select the Application Status link and then select the more information link for this position. The Details page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and any correspondence the agency has sent related to this application. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
To return to an incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account and click Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
* More Info
* Agency Employees Only
Note:Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here:http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN):1627414
CURRENT OI&T VA EMPLOYEES PLEASE NOTE: Please submit acompleteapplication package prior to the closing date, including latest SF-50 (please do not submit Award SF-50's).
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
* Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
The Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) and Career Transition Assistance Plan CTAP)provide eligible displaced Federal competitive service employees with selection priority over other candidates for competitive service vacancies. To be qualified you must submit appropriate documentation and be found well-qualified (have a final rating of 85 or more before any Veterans preference points) for this vacancy. Information about ICTAP and CTAP eligibility is onOPM's Career Transition Resources website.
Receiving Service Credit for Earning Annual (Vacation) Leave: Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. VA may offer newly-appointed Federal employee's credit for their job-related non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which they earn annual leave. Such credit must be requested and approved prior to the appointment date and is not guaranteed.
Placement Policy: The posting of this announcement does not obligate management to fill a vacancy or vacancies by promotion. The position may be filled by reassignment, change to lower grade, transfer, appointment, or reinstatement. Management may use any one or any combination of these methods to fill the position.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
* Per Year
All applicants arerequiredto submit the following supporting document type(s):
Applicants may also submit the following supporting document type(s),which may not be required for all applicants:
·Other Veterans Document
Please use thischecklistto ensure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, or ICTAP/CTAP documentation (for displaced Federal employees). You will not be contacted for additional information.
Veterans' Preference:When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference for 5pt (TP), or 10pt (CP/CPS, XPP, XP), or for Sole Survivor Preference (SSP), on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section(s) provided. A legible copy of your DD214(s) indicating character of service, disability certification, SF-15 (if claiming 10 pt. preference) or if you are currently serving on active duty and expected to be released or discharged within 120 days; documentation related to your active duty service which reflects the dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation. Documentation is required for eligibility verification.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents: You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application. If you are unable to apply online or unable to upload your supporting documents to your online application, follow the directions located at the following site:Fax Options. The Vacancy ID of the job opportunity announcement is 1627414.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203-FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.
* 2210-Information Technology Management
* 15668-Agency Employees Only
After we receive application packages (including all required documents) and the vacancy announcement closes, we will review applications to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. During our review, if your résumé and application package do not support your questionnaire answers, we will adjust your rating accordingly. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email (if provided); otherwise, applicants will receive a notification letter via the U.S. Postal Service. Referred applicants will be notified as such and may be contacted directly by the hiring office for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection decision has been made.
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking on Application Status. For a more detailed update of your status, click on more information. Information regardingapplicant notification points can be found in the USAJobs Resource Center.
* OPEN TO CURRENT PERMANENT OI&T DAYTON VAMC EMPLOYEES ONLY
More Job Detail:Pamela Britt
Series:2210-Information Technology Management
Pay Grade Low:11
Pay Grade High:11
Job Pay Type:Per Year
Job Organization:Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
Who May Apply:OPEN TO CURRENT PERMANENT OI&T DAYTON VAMC EMPLOYEES ONLY
VA Mental Health Hiring InitiativeHelp our Veterans reclaim peace of mind.Psychiatry,skip linksPsychology,Social Work,Psychiatric Nursing,Licensed Professional Counselors,Marriage and Family Therapists,Homeless Program Office Careersand more mental health opportunities are available Nationwide.
Job search & apply