2012-08-25

i have an SSD and a 250 gb caviar se hard drive. i noticed that transferring files was very slow on the hard drive and i was unable to find a solution. i even backed up my files, and re-installed windows xp.

so i bought a 2nd hard drive (caviar blue), and it has been working fine. the old hard drive works also, but it slows down if it is copying/transferring large files. i ran chkdsk and did defrag and search everywhere for answers but problem remains.

for example, if i copy a 2 or 3 files under 5 or 6 mb onto the hard drive, it will copy quickly and normally. if i copy a file that is 20 or 25 mb, it will behave normal. but if i try to copy a 50 mb file, it will start copying and then slow down drastically in the middle. it will finish the transfer, but very slowly. i also tried copying small groups of files, 3 or 4 files in about 10 mb "batches". the first batch gets copied like normal, and i quickly copy the 2nd group and so on. usually the 2nd batch gets copied normal, also. then 3rd group of files produces this slow down. if i copy a few small files like normal, and wait 5-10 seconds, the next group of files transfers like normal.

anyone know why this happens and how to fix it. hard drive can quickly and normally copy small files, but piling up the workload even just a little bit makes it super slow. the new hard drive i bought does not have this problem. even my external back-up drive and usb flash drives are working as fast as they should.

Show more