2014-11-26

Hi,

I'm about to buy a new SIM-free/unlocked mobile phone, but will need to

replace my current mini-SIM card with a micro-SIM.

You would _think_ you would be able to do this hardly unusual task simply

by logging into your mobile network's website and filling in a form or

pushing the appropriate buttons.. No hassle, Job Done.

Sadly, it looks as though I'll need to *phone* my network (Three) and

endure (unless things have improved recently) the usual abysmal

off-shored call centre 'experience' <sigh>..

I'm also half-tempted to take this opportunity to switch networks, since

I'm getting a bit fed up with losing data coverage when travelling in

areas with no 3G coverage (for just loading web pages to read on the

train, GPRS would really do just fine, thanks ..if they had it).

Do any of the mobile networks still have UK call centres these days

(supporting jobs and *our* economy, and all that..), or alternatively have

*full-featured* customer areas on their websites which actually *allow* you

to do *useful* things such as order a new SIM, change tariffs, request a

PAC code, etc so that you don't have to waste time in a call centre

queue if you don't want to?

Humanity invented writing literally *thousands of years ago* so that we

didn't have to have the inconvenience of requiring real-time communication

if we didn't want to (or if it wasn't mutually convenient for both parties),

yet with call centres we seem to have gone backwards..

For all the utter wank that corporates like to pretend to spout about

"ensuring that you have the best experience", actual useful and

_appropriate_ customer service (ie, not *having* to speak to somebody

unless you actually want to) always seems to come bottom of the list..

Grumble, etc, :-(

David.

Show more