2014-11-03

An open letter to Mazda Motors Corp.

Dear Mazda,

1st, my utmost thanks for bringing optimum driver involvement in almost every car you originally design for us consumers. It has been since day one that ultimate driving fun has always been included to the Mazda line-up. Your efforts may not be always appreciated by the car buying public, or to put simply, may not be for everyone, but the brand's passion remains burning for producing wonderful driver's cars. I guess driver enjoyment will always and forever will be, one of the brand's core ingredients in all its offerings. Kudos for that.

Also, I'd like to congratulate you, Mazda, for coming up with a potent line-up despite the post marital break up with long time partner, Ford. Standing up strong, proud and stronger with an attractive (KODO design language), ingeniusly designed, equipped with smarter features, innovative (SkyActiv) and cleverly packaged line-up, despite of significantly limited resources and starting from scratch is highly commendable. It opened up to the automotive world, the capability and robust engineering therein lies in the brand's R&D force and excites enthusiasts about the potentials of the brand waiting to be pushed to its limits.

As a fan, I wish your hard work to reap appreciation and great amounts of success. For the company to be inspired to continue to build impressive, value packed machinery for the motoring public. I trully do. Please do not stop reinventing the formulas, re-thinking processes or even breaking norms, just to provide us with blissful driving vehicles that makes everyday drive such an event to look forward to. I know that people are now starting to notice of the company's efforts of late and besides, who wouldn't? The Axela (3), Atenza (6) and CX-5 are simply class leading and now the Demio (2) and Roadster (MX-5) joining the fray, makes the line up just about as potent as they are physically beautiful. As a fan, I couldn't be more proud that the standout vehicles you offer are being praised and noticed by the automotive press and buying public alike.

There are, however, a few suggestions that I wish to relay to you guys. By giving my humble insights, does not make me claim that I'm an expert, but I really am into for the greater glory of the brand. I hope you could take time to please consider some of these ideas.

1st- The current line up. It is strong, attractive, actually kinda intimidating because of its innovation. I hope you could mandate distributors to offer products vis-a-vis the competition. From no-nonsense base model, to fully equipped top of the line variants, to manual transmissions, to even choices of petrol and diesel engines. Choices are cool. But some local distributor actually can't get some of the offerings right. (For ASEAN market). Offering too few trim levels, no transmission (manual transmission) nor enough engine options (diesel option) and overall offering fewer choices than most rivals.

2nd- SUVs and Pick-up Trucks are IN. Kudos for teasing the impending arrival of the all new CX-3 compact crossover (as of this date 10/28/2014). I'm sure it's gonna be a huge hit for the brand. However, your SUV line up isn't exactly as strong as it should be. The CX-5 is a great compact SUV but still there is a missing link between it and the CX-9. The CX-7, but NO, it shouldn't be car-based this time. For next tier up car-based crossover, it should be another model, a CX-6 (more on that later) and 7 seater CX-9. The CX-7should be a truck based 7 seater ladder framed SUV, much like the last generation Nissan Pathfinder (R51). Yes, a rugged old school SUV that may be based on the next BT-50 pick-up. You see that might not be the thing in North America, but the truck based SUVs are being enjoyed by Toyota (Fortuner), Mitsubishi (Montero Sport/Challenger), Ford (Everest), Chevrolet (Trailblazer) and Isuzu (MU-X)across the ASEAN region, Middle East and Australia. Even Nissan realizes the potentials of the segment and is preparing their own contender in the segment based on their newly introduced Navara NP300 (D23, perhaps the real Pathfinder replacement?) Pick-up truck. You may also develop a high powered gasoline variant to battle Dodge Durango, Toyota 4Runner and Jeep Grand Cherokee for the US Market. Shouldn't it be nice time to join the segment, Mazda? So what happens to the original CX-7? It may become the new CX-6. A mid-size 5 seater car-based SUV in full SkyActiv treatment and Kodo styling. It should be poised to battle the Ford Edge, Nissan Murano, Hyundai Santa Fe Sport, Kia Sorento and VW Touareg. The original CX-7 was a tweener between the legit 5 seater midsizers and compact SUVs that's why it didnt do well in either categories.It is also a high time for a new CX-9. The current is now on its 6th model year. Although still looking fresh, the CX-9 could use a dose of SkyActiv magic in its next iteration.

Above are the midsize truck-based SUV contenders in the ASEAN market. (Except for the Santa Fe and Sorento which battles the same segment there.)

Just imagine:

CX-3 - car-based small crossover SkyActiv-D/G engines(5 seater) rivals Nissan Juke, Ford EcoSport, Chevy Trax, Suzuki S-Cross, Honda HR-V etc

CX-5 - car-based compact crossover SkyActiv-D/G engines(5 seater) rivals RAV4, CRV, Forester, Outlander, Escape, Grand Vitara, Xtrail/Rogue etc

CX-6 - car-based midsize crossover SkyActiv-D/G engines(5 seater) rivals Ford Edge, Nissan Murano, Hyundai Santa Fe Sport, Honda Crosstour, Toyota Venza and VW Touareg.

Cx7 Comparo

The original CX-7 neither fits the midsize nor the compact SUV segment. It doesn't stand out among any competitor in those segments.

CX-7 - truck-based midsize SUV with SkyActiv-D engine (7 seater) rivals Fortuner, Everest, Montero Sport, MU-X, ASEAN Trailblazer ASEAN / 4Runner, Grand Cherokee and Durango USDM. Ala old USDM Nissan Pathfinder (truck-based 7 seater SUV). 2018 production year would be fine as most of the would be rivals could be having either MMC (ASEAN) or FMC (USDM) by then. A fresh design, all terrain slayer CX-7 by then will surely take the competition by storm.

Pathfinder Pathfinder Interior

Nissan Pathfinder (R51) is how the next CX-7 should be. A truck based 7 seater SUV.

CX-9 -car-based Full Model Change (FMC) based on Kodo design language and with full SkyActiv treatment. 7 seater SUV to battle the car-based Pathfinder, Grand Santa Fe, Toyota Highlander, Honda Pilot, Chevy Traverse, Ford Explorer, GMC Acadia, Dodge Journey etc

BT-50 - The development of an all new BT-50 could co-inside that of the truck-based 7 seater CX-7 SUV.

You could offer the CX3/5/6/9 to the US market and make do with CX3/5/7/9 and BT-50 for the European/Brazil/middle east/ASEAN and Australian market.

There is a reason why the SUV and Pick-up Truck market is so crowded. Please take a hint. ;)

3rd. Coupe - I applaud the rumors of a MY2017 Mazda 6 coupe. It is about time to reiterate the brand's sporty image and the Mazda 6 coupe is a good start. But more about the coupes later. :-)

4th. Long live the rotary power, RX line-up and moving upscale- The stillborn Amati division is such a good concept. It's so unfortunate it never materialized. It's never too late though. Also, the Rotary/Wankel powertrain is very much befitting of more limelight it never had. Why was it canned too many times before? Because it runs in limited numbers, so mechanics were never familiar of these gems ever before. Parts were scarce and production is so expensive. Thus, that hampers further development of progress in this particular type of engine. It needed to stay, for the Rotary and RX-7 is a good halo product for Mazda to showcase its exercise of innovative and out of the box engineering excellence. I think moving upscale might be a good answer for this. Yes, upscale. Oh well, not quite upscale but let's just say premium products in the form of an RX line-up. That's right! A sub-brand "RX' to be sold along side mainstream Mazda cars. This is sort of what DS is to Citroen, Range Rover is to Land Rover, Emgrand is to Geely and the likes. So what will make "RX line-up" more premium than the current line up of Mazda? Is that it will all be carrying a scalable/modular RWD platform across the range and all will be powered by a new generation Rotary/Wankel engines in full SkyActiv chassis and transmission treatment.

I believe mass producing the Rotary engine, though marketing it as a premium product, is the key for its success and further development and thus preserving the heritage of Mazda as the innovator to this engine type.

It will be sold as RX sub brand with no Mazda badge on the car itself (like Range Rover and DS).

Imagine this potent line up:

RX-3 - a rear drive compact sports sedan available with NA and Turbocharged 13B, 16X (upcoming next gen Rotary engine) and 20B rotary engine mounted front amidship (rivals BMW 3 series, Audi A4, Caddy ATS, Infiniti Q50, Lexus IS, Merc C-Class, Volvo S60 etc)

could possibly spawn an *RX-4 - a rear drive compact 4 door hardtop (essentially a 4 door coupe RX-3)

RX-5 - a rear drive mid size sports sedan based on a stretch RX-3 platform available with NA, Single or Twin Turbocharged 16X and 20B rotary engine (rivals BMW 5 series, A6, CTS, Q70, GS, E-Class etc)

RX-6 - a rear drive 4 door hardtop/coupe version of the RX-5 (rivals 6 series GC, A7, CLS)

RX-7 - a sporty rear drive 2 door, 2 seat lightweight coupe to battle the entry level sports segment with 13B, 16X and 20B rotary engine choices, turbo power to be offered (rivals Golf, Focus ST, 86/BRZ/FR-S up to the TT, SLK, Cayman, 370Z, Mustang etc)

RX-8 - will be a sporty yet comfortable 4 seater coupe based on a stretch RX-7 platform, still with rotary power to battle Infiniti Q60, Lexus RC-F, BMW 4 series, Audi A5/S5, Merc C-class coupe. It will be like a modern legitimate sports car c*m grand tourer at the same time. Much like a modern interpretation but a more sporty and compact than the 90s Cosmo coupe (Series JC).

RX-9 - could be a megabuck, high powered, 2 seat exotic sports coupe in the league of Porsche 911, Corvettes, Nissan GT-R, Merc AMG-GT, Audi R8, Lexus LFA in terms of performance and will be the RX sub-brand's halo product, much like the 'original Eunos Cosmo' (L10A/L10B). It will offer the most powerful engine in the shelves and will be the most expensive in the line up.

I seriously think that a wide spread use of the wankel motor across a line up and marketing it upscale/premium is the key for it to stay and to further find improvements in its function and engineering, not to mention the boosted image and appeal and also public familiarity to this unconventional engine type due to mass production. This engine hasn't been given much attention despite its inherent goodness and advantages over a conventional engine. Mazda should bank on this as selling points as they actually really offers distinct advantages over the competition. Anyway, Mazda have been in the wankel technology for quite some time, why not give it a full blast this time? Also, it's like hitting 3 birds (launch premium sub-brand, mass production of wankel and re-introduction of rotary engine as a mainstay/mainstream in the automotive scene) at the same time and will prove to be win win for the company.

I hope that you guys over at Mazda HQ could really see into this product plan. I really want you guys to grow into the car company that you deserve to be for producing cars that are really world beating in almost every important aspect a car has to deliver. I believe having a complete and potent line-up is also what makes a car company create its base of loyal customers. And if a customer walks into a Mazda showroom and has about everything or at least most of what he needs and wants is offered there will what makes him/her stick to the brand.

Wish you guys best of luck and more power! Zoom-zoom.

Yours,

Steve M. Cardenas

Certified Mazda fanatic

Show more