The statements below are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by associates assigned to this job. This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of associates so classified.
The Manual Microbiology Specialist is responsible for selling the Manual Microbiology product line in the Diagnostic Systems Product Portfolio to hospitals and reference labs within the assigned territory.
- Develops and implements a territory and account sales plan involving multiple stakeholders and buyers in the growth of the Manual Microbiology products. Works closely with the Diagnostic Account Executive in the development of an account plan specific to each hospital’s key business drivers.
- Effectively deploys clinically relevant product features / benefits and economic justification using existing selling tools as well as creating new tools specific to each customer situation to define the value of our product offerings. Coordinates all decision makers to arrive at a contractual purchase agreement for these products.
- Responsible for maintaining and growing the base revenue stream and insuring customer satisfaction through consistent and ongoing customer contact.
- Works effectively with BD customer facing associates (Diagnostic Account Executives, Product Specialists, Manual Microbiology Specialists, Lab Automation Specialists, National Accounts, Strategic Account Managers, Service Engineers, and Applications Specialists) as well as BD’s distribution partners to support the customer in growth and long-term retention activities.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Attain or exceed the overall sales plan and provide customer support for the Manual Microbiology product portfolio and Respiratory Testing.
· Recognized as the product expert for driving the growth of the Manual Microbiology product portfolio and Respiratory Testing.
· Develop, document, and drive the customer buying process through full utilization of a territory and strategic account sales plan involving multiple stakeholders and buyers in the growth of the assigned products.
· Call on prospective customers, create demand, communicate medical, clinical and patient outcome benefits, deliver product information and demonstrations, prepare proposals and quotes within company guidelines.
· Effectively demonstrate the soft and hard costs associated with the product portfolio by persuading multiple decision makers and influencers to orchestrate a successful product conversion within the institution.
· Develop and close accounts within the assigned geographic territory using a coordinated team selling model (Diagnostic Account Executive, Product Specialists, Lab Automation Specialists, National Accounts, Strategic Account Managers, Service Engineers, and Applications Specialists, Distribution Partners, Applications Specialist, and Marketing).
· Communicate and coordinate customer needs (inventory / supply chain updates, contract changes, competitive intelligence) to distributor to ensure account needs are met and or opportunities fully exploited.
· Prioritize and initiate direct sales calls with distributors to protect existing sales and identify additional revenue opportunities.
· Forecast activity and closes as required by management.
· Provide continuous support including post sales activities. Effectively communicate with the Service organization to coordinate a successful transitioning to BD’s Manual Micro Products to the long term customer satisfaction of that product portfolio.
· Manage administrative duties as assigned: monitoring expenses to budget, timely administrative and call reporting, funnel and competitive data entries, new contracts and renewals, use and maintenance of Company assets and adhering to OHSA and Universal Lab precautions.
· Live the BD Values, including but not limited to, the BD Code of Conduct and AdvaMed rules.
· Achieving Business Results (Drive for Results): Results consistently meets and exceeds sales/business targets. Applies principles of account qualification, targeting, territory coverage (frequency X reach) and resource management to optimize productivity. Identifies opportunities to improve results both in terms of sales/share and profitability; growth oriented. Excels at lead generation; strives for continuous improvement (effectiveness efficiencies). Maintains compliance to the highest ethical standards.
· Sales Knowledge and Selling Skills: Excels in consultative selling, service and communication skills [including but not limited to presentation skills] across multiple levels of customers/across organizations. Outstanding ability to influence, persuade and close the sale/gain customer commitment. Demonstrates excellent listening and questioning skills. Key messages are believed and acted upon by customers. Drives the customer decision-making process. Is highly responsive; follows through. Strong Medical/Scientific/ Technical Product knowledge.
· Sales and Cross-Functional Teamwork (Interpersonal Savvy): Is continuously focused and aligned to common purpose. Strives to achieve organizational synergy whenever possible. Is positive and proactive, works collaboratively with others to achieve targets and provides services. Excellent internal communication skills across and throughout the organization. Respects authority; follows established lines and methods of internal communication.
· Contract Management, Budgeting and Administration: Develops and manages budgets by customer and account; knows how to calculate and drive return on sales investment in the account and territory. Effectively monitors and manages all stages and elements of the contract cycle. Involves others from the company as needed to help secure, support and execute the contract. Maintains and protects company property/assets.
· Customer Focus and Relationship Management: Develops and maintains strong and close relationships in multi-customer environments. Builds individual and collective customer loyalty / champions / advocates. Is intimate in knowledge of the customer and how best to service its needs. Builds strong customer networks and leverages within and across customer organizations. Creates and closely manages opportunities for multiple interfaces with customers. Fast and flexible in responding to customer needs.
· Competitiveness and Sales Leadership (Perseverance): Will to win; strong knowledge of competition; uses competitive knowledge to formulate and differentiate selling strategy and tactics. Highly motivated; takes the initiative; self-confident. Strives to be the best representative across industry within the territory, within the customer organization and within the company. Leads through “natural” authority; takes accountability; not shy to handle tough situations or decisions.
· Sales Strategy and Tactics (Planning / Organizing): Stays focused on core selling strategies and impeccable alignment and implementation of tactics to deliver results and move the customer forward in the buying process. Demonstrates selling innovativeness; one’s selection and execution of tactics are key points of differentiation, important to customers and not easily imitated by competition within the territory and/or account. Secures, monitors and manages standardization, product utilization and/or evaluation and placement.
· Selling in Complex Multi Dimensional Organizations: Recognizes challenges of and is versatile selling in complex/multi-dimensional organizations. Balances short term with longer term opportunities and solutions. Recognizes and adapts quickly to changes in decision-making hierarchy. Has high level of access to and is effective in working with multiple top decision-makers and influencers in the account. Does not get trapped into working with only one or two persons within the organization. Uses good judgment and demonstrates excellent problem-solving and decision-making skills.
· Business Acumen/Key Account Planning & Negotiation: Strong business acumen and strategic negotiation skills. Excels in key account analytics, strategy and planning to identify and manage key/national account and new business potential. Strong numeracy, financial agility and accuracy. Stays focused on business success/growth drivers, top customer/key account needs and leverages competitive advantage in group and individual negotiations.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
· Knowledge of selling process and the components to build / maintain customer loyalty.
· Preparation, presentation and closing skills to include direct sales, use of distribution channel and/or team selling approach.
· Strong organizational skills. Territory management, account assessment and relationship development. Analytical with financial orientation applicable to contract proposals and profitability, budget, and expense management.
· Ability to develop markets for new technology and new medical practices.
· Excellent communication skills and interpersonal interaction required.
· Computer savvy – working knowledge of MS Office applications, Blackberry and / or other connectivity devices.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
· BA / BS in Life Sciences, biological areas, business or related discipline. Degree in Medical Technology (MT ASCP) or Microbiology preferred.
· Documented sales success (top 20%) in broad range laboratory products with minimum 1 year clinical laboratory selling experience preferred.
· Microbiology Lab experience preferred.
**Job:** *Field Sales*
**Title:** *Manual Microbiology Specialist-Seattle, Portland, San Francisco Bay Area, San Jose, Sacramento*
**Location:** *California-San Francisco*
**Requisition ID:** *FIE000V3*
**Other Locations:** *US-Oregon, US-Washington-Seattle, US-California-San Jose*