2016-06-04

This little guy has been generating some buzz in OTAs,

thinking he might need his own Bullpen thread.

Quote:

SOTT Rundown: Houston Texans OTAs #4

Quote:

Two rookie free agents to watch are tight end Stephen Anderson and cornerback Richard Leonard. For rookie free agents early in the process, it is all about opportunity. Anderson and Leonard are getting just that to get themselves on film and they are showing well early.

For Leonard, it is going to be an open competition for the final cornerback spot and the rookie from Florida International is an early one to watch. A little bit on the smaller side measuring in at 5-9, Leonard has good feet and coverage abilities. He will have to produce on the inside of the defense and the concern is if he gets extended to the boundary against bigger receivers. He is a pesky player in coverage and has a good understanding of what is being asked of him and that alone is putting his name into the hat as training camp approaches.

Quote:

Originally Posted by H2O4me
(Post 835158)

13 observations from rookie minicamp day 1

John Harris|Texans Analyst

Quote:

An undrafted player that is one of the smallest guys on the field is FIU’s Richard Leonard. He’s a competitive guy and he can scoot. He was a CB/returner combination at FIU and during special teams drills, there were some oohhhs and ahhhs when he shook a couple of defenders during a return/cover drill. He’s not consummate corner size, but he’s going to make the receiver have to work for every catch his way. Here was my 2015 pre-season scouting report on Leonard at FIU:

“Wonderful, yet unknown combination cornerback-return threat…on 13 punt returns in 2014, he averaged nearly 24 yards a return and one touchdown…had a punt return touchdown, two pick sixes and one fumble return for a TD…had a carry as well…accumulated yardage in every single way but receiving…stocky, strong build…looks more like a running back than a corner…ultra-quick feet…fluid hips and change of direction is sublime…just not a big guy…will battle at the apex with an outstanding vertical leap…smart, reads routes well…can play zone or man, not a great press corner given his lack of length…that said, this guy can play…could see him play a slot corner/nickel corner immediately.”

Quote:

Richard Leonard, CB, Florida International

A Miami product, Leonard has had an impact at FIU as a returner and cornerback since the start of his career (although he missed 2013 due to academic ineligibility), especially in his first-team All-Conference USA junior campaign (five interceptions, seven pass breakups, four fumble recoveries, 25.7-yard kick-return average, 23.8-yard punt-return average with one touchdown). Though shorter than most NFL teams prefer at the position (5-9, 189), there's no doubting his foot quickness, closing ability and competitive fire. His elusiveness as a returner should earn him extra looks.

FIU’s Richard Leonard, defensive back and kickoff returner, looking for chance in the NFL

Quote:

On Oct. 2, 2014, FIU defensive back Richard Leonard picked up a fumble in his own end zone. Without hesitation, Leonard sprinted out of the end zone, broke three tackles before he reached the 20-yard line, and ran the last 80 yards untouched.

Leonard’s 100-yard fumble return extended the Panthers’ lead over rival Florida Atlantic to 24-10 and is one of two 100-yard return touchdowns in school history. The other 100-yard score also belongs to Leonard.

“As a returner, I model myself after myself,” Leonard said. “I do things different than other people.”

The 24-year-old Leonard has taken a different path to the NFL Draft too, rebounding from academic troubles that caused him to miss the 2013 season and establishing himself as a late-round draft prospect.

“I don’t think there’s any question in my mind that he can play in that league,” FIU coach Ron Turner said. “As long as he stays focused on the right things and continues to work … which I think he will.”

Leonard has been named to the Conference USA first team both as a cornerback and a kickoff returner each of the past two seasons. He graduates with the most career pass breakups in team history and the second-most career kickoff-return yards, behind only current Colts wide receiver T.Y. Hilton. Leonard ran an average 40-yard dash time of 4.39 seconds at his Pro Day, which would have been the fifth-fastest time among defensive backs at this year’s NFL Scouting Combine.

“Size is his biggest concern,” Turner said. “That’s going to be the biggest thing … to show people that he plays bigger than he is and that he’s a good football player.”

Considering the season-long ineligibility Leonard already has overcome, a couple of inches shouldn’t be too much of a challenge.

“I felt like I let my team down,” Leonard said of his lost 2013 season. “I also let my family and myself down. I just needed to work on getting in my schoolwork and staying in shape for the 2014 year.”

Turner said he met with Leonard throughout 2013.

“We talked about everything,” Turner said. “He didn’t want to end up being another one of those guys that have great talent, great opportunity, but flunks out of school and doesn’t do anything with it.”

Leonard graduated from FIU at the end of the 2014-15 school year, but chose to return to campus as a graduate student and play the 2015 football season with the Panthers. A year later, Leonard stands by his decision.

“I know a lot of people were telling me I should [leave school],” Leonard said. “[I had] a lot of things I needed to work on. I kept staying in shape … just working on my craft.”

In addition to improving as a football player and continuing his studies, Leonard spent the extra year with his newborn son, Chase.

“I need to provide for him, so he doesn’t live like I used to live.” Leonard said of Chase, who just turned 11 months old. “I just have to do anything I can do to let him see the bigger things in life.”

Leonard said he models his defensive game after Tyrann Mathieu, the Arizona Cardinals defensive back who also returned kicks in college.

If he can’t make it as a kick returner or a defensive back, Turner said Leonard also could play wide receiver.

“We actually put him on offense a little bit in the 2014 season,” Turner said. “It was amazing how quickly he learned it mentally.”

Leonard plans to watch the draft with his immediate family at his Richmond Heights home. He hopes to sign with an NFL team as an undrafted free agent if his name isn’t called.

“I know I can impact a team on special teams or defense,” Leonard said. “It’s just me getting that opportunity.”

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpha
(Post 831239)

We hosted him for a workout a few days ago. He's a decent return man with pretty good speed.

Highlights: https://youtu.be/Ax4NN7JU07s

RICHARD LEONARD INTERVIEW

Quote:

Richard Leonard – Cornerback – Senior – FIU

Alex Khvatov: What are your measurements (height, weight and forty time)?

Richard Leonard: My height is 5’8, weight is 183 and 4.38. But I haven’t run the forty officially at the pro day.

Alex Khvatov: Where are you currently training for the 2016 NFL Draft?

Richard Leonard: I am currently training at the school. I was training in New Jersey at Parabolic for a while.

Alex Khvatov: What do you plan to show scouts at your Pro Day?

Richard Leonard: They will see great things out of me. I should have a good forty time. They should see good numbers on the broad, vert and bench. I have quick feet and good hips. I will open up a lot of eyes. I am expecting big numbers on March 30th.

Alex Khvatov: Coming out of high school, what schools showed interest in you?

Richard Leonard: I had a couple of schools like Tennessee and Georgia. West Virginia was looking at me until the coach went to Marshall. I was going to go to Georgia, but I didn’t have the SAT score at the time.

Alex Khvatov: Why did you choose FIU?

Richard Leonard: Head coach Mario Cristobal was a good person to me. They looked after me and stayed with me. I grayshirted. I came in January. They waited and left the scholarship for me. They stayed with me through the bad times.

Alex Khvatov: Describe your overall career with the Panthers.

Richard Leonard: I had some ups and downs. I had a great freshman season. My sophomore year, I didn’t have the year I was expecting. I was ineligible my junior year. I had an awesome year as a redshirt junior. I did good my senior year. I didn’t have too many INT’s. I was being a leader. I showed the young guys how to play the game.

Alex Khvatov: What were you ineligible during your junior season?

Richard Leonard: I didn’t meet the credits at the school that I needed to play that whole season.

Alex Khvatov: What makes you so dangerous as a returner?

Richard Leonard: I learned the return game from T.Y. Hilton. He showed me what to expect out there. Teammates had great blocks for me. I scored three TD’s on returns. My vision is very good. I know where I want to go. I set things up. I set up my blocks, bait defenders and go the other way.

Alex Khvatov: What are your strengths?

Richard Leonard: I am a good man and zone corner. I can play either. I love to tackle. I like to cover smaller and bigger guys. I love doing everything.

Alex Khvatov: What areas of your game are you trying to improve upon?

Richard Leonard: I am trying to perfect my feet. I needed to work on my hip motion. I need to be more flexible. I needed to get stronger and faster. I have been doing a lot of speed and strength work.

Alex Khvatov: What is the highlight of your career up to this point?

Richard Leonard: The highlight of the year was my junior year. I had a big game against FAU. They fumbled the ball at the one-yard line. I returned the fumble 103 yards for the score. It changed the whole game. I also intercepted the ball in the end zone against them. I had five interceptions my junior season.

Alex Khvatov: Who is your favorite NFL player?

Richard Leonard: Patrick Peterson and Tyrann Mathieu. Tyrann is the same size as me. He has the fight and the heart.

Alex Khvatov: What separates you from the other players at your position?

Richard Leonard: The love of the game. I have a lot of heart. I bring it every day. I am a great guy off the field. I joke around and laugh off the field. When it is game time, I stay focused and dialed in. I love football. I have been playing it since three years old. I always dreamed about the NFL. I will take this opportunity.

Alex Khvatov: What is the most important trait for a corner?

Richard Leonard: I have to have good feet. You have to have a good personality. You are always on an island by yourself. In my division, a lot of teams were scared to throw my way. I had lonely days on an island. But in the NFL, I will have balls thrown at me.

Alex Khvatov: Who was the best player that you have faced during your career?

Richard Leonard: WR Tyler Boyd is a big, physical guy. I love guarding the top guy. He is a great guy when the ball in in air. He is a great route runner. He has speed on the field. He was challenging at first.

Alex Khvatov: What players on your team should we keep an eye on next season?

Richard Leonard: Look out for Anthony Jones. He is going to be a sophomore. He will be a big part of the offense. He plays everything. He plays outside receiver, slot and RB.

Alex Khvatov: Describe your overall experience at the NFLPA Bowl in CA.

Richard Leonard: It was a great experience. I didn’t know anybody. Darrell Green was my coach. He was a great NFL player for so long. I was going against different competition. I enjoyed going against other teams, bigger schools and top receivers. I was learning from different guys.

Alex Khvatov: What is the biggest thing you took away from that game?

Richard Leonard: Getting coached by Coach Green. He told me a lot of things that I need to work on like my feet. I got a chance to get a couple of tackles and pass breakups. I enjoyed going to CA and getting out of Miami.

Alex Khvatov: What type of feedback did you receive from scouts?

Richard Leonard: They like my play on special teams. They like the player that I am. A lot of teams are scared of my size. I got great feedback from them. They told me I am fast, quick, strong, can return kicks and punts.

Alex Khvatov: What do you enjoy most about football?

Richard Leonard: I enjoy the competition day in and day out. Football is my passion. I breathe football every day. Football is always on my mind.

Alex Khvatov: What are your hobbies?

Richard Leonard: I am a family guy. I have a 10-month old son. I hang out with him. I also play PlayStation.

Alex Khvatov: How has fatherhood changed your perspective on life?

Richard Leonard: It changed my life a lot. I had to kick that childish side out. I have become a man early. I attend to my son. I enjoy doing it.

Alex Khvatov: What do you want to do with your life after your football career is over?

Richard Leonard: I want to own some buildings. I want to get into real estate. I graduated with a sports management degree last January.

Alex Khvatov: Finish the sentence, Richard Leonard is….

Richard Leonard: A competitor who loves to come out and give it his all every day. I give it 100 percent every day. I love the game.

Quote:

Pro Day Results

Dates: 03/30/16

Height: 5076

Weight: 175

40 Yrd Dash: 4.39

20 Yrd Dash: 2.54

10 Yrd Dash: 1.57

225 Lb. Bench Reps: 18

Vertical Jump: 35

Broad Jump: 10'00"

20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.33