2017-03-08

My wife and I will be arriving in Bermuda on Monday May 8th via RCCL and will only be in port for two days. We would like to pack in as much as possible. We are early risers and aren't much for crowds or touristy stuff. We like doing things on our own and visiting off the beaten path places.

Day 1 - We arrive around 9:00 am and will be in port overnight. It makes no difference to us if we make it back to the ship for dinner. We like experiencing local culture and food.
We plan to rent a boat from Blue Hole Water Sports (find a place to pack up lunch/snacks since we get a cooler with boat rental). I picked this place based on the reviews, I heard that Castle Harbor was one of the best places to boat and because it's closer to St George for more exploration. I would love suggestions on places to visit on the boat too. I have found two different options to get Blue Water Sports and can't decide which is best. We plan to get two day passes for the bus and Ferry so we can hop around the island easily.

Take Blueferry route to Hamilton (city), walk up to the bus terminal beside City Hall, no. 10 or 11 bus to Grotto Bay, the bus stops right at the hotel.

Or

Take 9:30 or 10:30 (depending on ship time) ferry to St. George's, Spend a few hours there, then take the bus to Grotto Bay Resort (routes 1,3, 10, 11 all seem to go there; it takes about 18 minutes). Rent a boat for an hour or two. Perhaps stop nearby at the Swizzle Inn for a drink and/or snack. Then take the bus to Hamilton and walk around the city. Take the 6 or 730 pm ferry back to the Dockyards.

I know I said we don't like touristy things but I am considering visiting the Swizzle Inn only because we will be so close.

My dilemma is should we spend the first part of the morning in St George, then get the boat and then head to Hamilton to explore. I love history so I definitely want to walk around St George and walk to Tobacco Bay. I like that the Ferry leaves later from Hamilton so we would have more time and not feel rushed. Or should we get the Boston Whaler first and explore St George after and leave Hamilton for day 2. I am also considering exploring the Dockyards late that evening after we get back to the boat and shower.

Day 2- Boat leaves port at 5:00 pm
Get off the boat as early as possible. Take Bus #7 asked to be dropped off at Warwick Bay and take the path to visit all of the beaches up to Horseshoe Bay Beach. I could lay on the beach all day but my wife needs activity so I don't expect to be on the beaches more than 3 or 4 hours.

We could potentially head to Hamilton City for exploring after we are finished at the beaches and take the Ferry back to the Dockyard. Or if we make time for Hamilton on Day 1 head back to the Dockyard to explore it during the day and perhaps see some other sites like the Railway Trail and Scaur Hill Fort (let me know if I am missing anything else worth seeing). I don't want to feel rushed to get back to the boat by 4:00 pm. I guess another question would be where is the best shopping for souvenirs? Dockyard vs Hamilton and/or St George.

I would appreciate any input from anyone who has done a similar itinerary.

Thank you in advance!

Show more