2014-08-10

Just got off the Carnival Dream this morning and this ship is truly a dream! Where do I start? First we arrived in NO on 7/31/14 and we stayed at the Sheraton Hotel on Canal street. The hotel was very nice and it even had a full Starbucks in the lobby of the hotel. My parents and I went down Canal street and then down the famous Bourbon street. The first restaurant we ate at was the Oceana restaurant. The food was okay but the service was excellent. We also took the trolley to the mall that was literally 2 blocks away from our hotel which we didn't know. The next day we took a taxi to another mall called Slidell(I believe that was name of it) I know it was abt a 20 min taxi ride from our hotel and we did a little bit of precruise shopping. On our last night in NO, we were told that two events were going on which one was a white linen party and I forgot the other event.

Arriving to the Port of New Orleans Sunday August 3,2014 around noon time, I was anxious and excited to get aboard this ship. Not only that, it was my parents first cruise and I was excited for them to experience all the good memories that my cousin and I experience on our first cruise.

My parents, cousin and I got in line at the Port of New Orleans cruise terminal and the entire process took almost an hour. After going through the medal detectors, we all went through another door and everyone had to be seated. They were calling everyone by groups to get our S&S card and took out photo but since my dad has medical issues we went through the handicap line per a Carnival cruise employee. We took our picture and our S&S cards were issued about a minute later.

Now it was time to walk onboard. As we were walking, the Carnival Dream is a HUGE ship. Seeing the workers below loading up the luggage and everyone's happy face made me even more excited. I've been looking forward to this cruise since my last cruise on my birthday last year and I was excited to celebrate my birthday again this year with carnival.

Once we step foot on board, it finally hit me that I was OFFICIALLY ON VACATION. I wasn't let down at all. I was comparing the Dream to the Liberty and it has very few similarities since the Dream is 4 years newer. My parents had a balcony room on deck 7 emperess (7436) and my cousin and I had a balcony suite on deck 8 verandah (8396) both rooms were port side which I prefer. Upon entering our room, the rooms are all the same on other ships. The only difference is that our beds were on the right side of the room while the tv and vanity are on the left (when I was on the Carnival Liberty, it was reverse).

I had made a quick video of my room (8396) and then my cousin and I went down to my parents room. I see how they like their cabin so far, which they did btw. We all went to the lido deck to grab something to eat and then my cousin and I went to the bar for some drinks since it was my birthday on this departure. Time had flew. The next thing I knew is that it was after 4pm and we had set sail. It was quite noticeable that we were sailing because the Dream had to make several maneuvers to pull out of port and headed down the Mississippi River.

Sailing down the narrow Mississippi River, was breath taking bc I saw the downtown NO and then the swamps and bayous and I did see a couple of alligators swimming around. It took a little of 6 hours to get out of the Mississippi into the Gulf of Mexico. Dinner was great but some of the food that was offered on this cruise were offered on my last cruise on the Liberty last year. I must add that the strawberry bisque is my favorite starter and I was happy to see it on the menu.

8/4 was a FDAS and it was our first elegant night! My cousin, mom and I had appointments at the spa for a pedicure and let's just say I won't be visiting the spa again. The staff was excellent but for my mom and I pedicure was $70/piece and with that we could've done some shore excursions. The spa was an experience, something to say I've done before. Also we did take a tour of the saunas and the Thelossial pools which are beautiful. That evening we had our elegant dinner and our dinner room staff (Daryl, Fredericko Jr and Michael) kept us entertained and they took real great care of my family and I. Also the entire dining staff had sung all of us an Italian love song. It was really nice

8/5 was another FDAS and we went on the Lanai deck 5 promenade for a BBQ which was good as well. After that, my cousin and I went to our balcony and capture the beautiful Gulf of Mexico and it's blue waters and enjoying our sea breeze and drinks(lol). After that evening, we went to one of the comedy shows and the show was okay.

8/6 was our first stop in Montego Bay, Jamaica. I really didn't like this stop because it didn't appeal to me like the other two stops we had made. The beaches were beautiful. Since I'm from NY, I grew up on Jamaican beef patties so when we found a spot, I had to buy one. It was Jamaica's Independence that day as well so out taxi can driver was telling us all about the festivities that was taking place that day. I was so happy to be back on the ship and after and hour I was thrilled to be leaving that port.

8/7 our second stop was the Grand Cayman Islands. It was a tender port due it being narrow and shallow. So we docked a little ways from port. I had step out on my balcony and right next to us was Royal Carribean Freedom of the Seas. We had went up to the lido deck for breakfast and we all say by the window and as we were glancing outside, Carnival Glory had docked next us. We took a smaller boat to shore and once there, my cousin and I went to Margaritaville and tour around the island. It was very hot in the caymans but it was beautiful. Royal Caribean had left first around 3pm and then we left at 4pm leaving Carnival Glory the only ship left in port.

8/8 we arrive in Puerta Maya, Cozumel Mexico. It was hot and humid in Cozumel too and I really wanted to go the beaches but the taxis were charging too much, so we walked around and shopped at near by shops closer to the port. After sightseeing for awhile, we grab some food at Fat Tuesdays and after that headed back on the ship. It made me realize that this is our last stop and then we had another FDAS.

8/9 was our final FDAS, so after breakfast I went to deck 7 and washed my clothes and didn't have any issues using my S&S card for washing my clothes but when it came time to dry them, my S&S didn't wasn't read by the system but this older guy had just took his clothes out of the dryer with 40 minutes still remaining on it and he said I can use it. I was told by my mom once you select the machine number, once it starts, it gives you 99 minutes. The washing machine and dryer are so much better then the Carnival Liberty IMHO. I was already feeling sad because this cruise was coming to an end and we had a lot of fun aboard this beautiful ship. After we got through packing, we got ready for dinner and it was our second and last elegant night with our dining staff. They sung to us and before leaving dinner, we took pictures with our dining servers (Daryl, Micheal and Fredericko Jr).

8/10 I dreaded this morning. The fun was about to be over less then an hour. We went up to the lido deck for breakfast and waited until they had called our debarktation zone. We finally got off board a quarter til 10am. Walking through the customs checkpoints, I took one good look of our floating home that we had for the last 7 days for the last time. All I can say is that you're planning on a cruise and you see that the ship is the Carnival Dream, book it and get onboard. You wouldn't be let down at all.

Onboard the ship on one of our FDAS, we went to this information class on how to get the best seats on future cruises and it was a waste of time. All the things the guy was telling us, were on Carnivals website. My family and I are already planning another cruise around March 2015 either on the the Carnival Freedom,Breeze,Magic or Sunshine for spring break. Also the guy that was doing this presentation was telling us that the Carnival Vista is still being constructed and should be in service in April of 2016, so I'm anxious be aboard that ship when it comes to service.

Our Stateroom steward was excellent and answered all of our questions. Also we had a Bartendar that my cousin and I went to just about everyday and his name is I PUTU. He was working at the aft bar on the lido deck. One thing I noticed was the cleanliness of the ship. The staff kept this beauty clean from top to bottom. Also the staff was very friendly and that's what will keep me cruising with Carnival even more. Also our dining staff were great as well. If any of you happens to have Daryl, Fredericko Jr and Michael as your waiters, you'll receive the best service from them that I had experienced. Also during the FDAS, they serve brunch and since my cousin and I are return cruisers, carnival gave us both a voucher for a free drink.

I hope my review helped any future cruisers whose worried or nervous about this cruise line. You get the best bang for your buck and the rewards and perks are great. I'll post pictures up once I get back to Vegas. I'm currently at the airport in NO waiting to board out flight.

about this cruise line. You get the best bang for your buck and the rewards and perks are great. I'll post pictures up once I get back to Vegas. I'm currently at the airport in NO waiting to board out flight.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Show more