2013-09-20

I have this on the NCL board but thought I would also put it here since I am going to make some comparisons of NCL to Carnival as I go along. If it shouldn't be here too I will remove it (or a moderator can).

Flew into Rome on September 8/9 via JFK on Delta. The flight was excellent if you can call that long a flight excellent. They certainly go out of their way with food, drink, and entertainment (movies,etc) to make the time pass as easily as possible. We had reservations with romeinlimo to pick us up at the airport and as soon as we had exchanged some money and collected our luggage we found them waiting for us directly outside the baggage claim. They took us directly to our hotel, Al Viminale Hill Inn and Hotel located in downtown Rome passing many landmarks along the way. Our driver was very knowledgeable about the history of his city and it was so exciting to get an overview on the way to the hotel.

Our room was large by European standards, but nothing to write home about. Would we stay there again? Yes. The location was great and the price was right as well as the room being clean. Also, the bathrooms were newly remodeled and the showers were wonderful! The hotel is in what they called a 19th century remodeled palace. I don't know if that's true, but the hotel did have character, from the old fashioned "lift" to the beautiful doors on all the rooms. If booking here one must keep in mind that there isn't a desk clerk on duty after 8 pm.

Our time in Rome:

Vatican - Tomb of St. Peter - Great tour - but you must arrange it through the Vatican ahead of time. You have to walk to the far side of the Vatican to the excavation office. We got to meet some of the Swiss guards up close and personal. They greet you with bonjourno! Yes, they actually speak to you!

With that tour you get to enter the bascillica directly afterwards past all the lines. Amazing - just amazing - the tour of the tombs and the church afterwards. The tombs are extremely humid but unbelievable what has been uncovered. The tour ends with the tomb of St. Peter.

Had lunch at one of the sidewalk cafes there directly across from the church. Had tickets for 1:00 for the Sistine chapel and Vatican museums but they allowed us in early. The artwork is, of course, amazing. Walked through the Sistine chapel. Again amazing. Very small. Was surprised at how many were taking pictures when specifically asked not to.

Walked this on our own. Several large tour groups thought nothing of taking up the entire space and not allowing others to go through in a timely manner. That was the only negative. They should either limit the size of tour groups or have separate areas for them, or they should periodically move to the side to let singles move past them.

All of the streets in Rome that we walked on were brick and very uneven. This makes walking difficult for even the most fit. Good shoes are a must! Interesting seeing smart cars and scooters parked several deep at many sites. Also interesting seeing men in suits driving the scooters all around!

Don't hesitate to ask directions when walking somewhere. We had to several times and found the shopkeepers very friendly and more than willing to help. More than a few had delightful senses of humor!

The Trevi fountain was packed as were the Spanish steps. We had tickets for the mass viewing with the pope on Wednesday morning but decided not to go after seeing how large the crowds had been the day before. Just thought we might be late for our transportation that was scheduled for the trip to the port and didn't want to risk it. A bit bummed about missing it but knew it was a chance going in. A reason to go back! Also knew it would give us some extra time on the ship while others were in the city.

Found out on our last train ride (of course) that you can change the language from Italian to English when buying your ticket by clicking on (I think) the green ticket. It cost 1 euro plus 50 cents euro to ride the subway around Rome (single ride). You can also buy a day pass but I don't know what that cost. I'm sure we should have done it! Again, don't hesitate to ask if you are unclear as to which line you should be on. They were very helpful.

Went to dinner a few blocks from our hotel at a place called alessio ristorante, www.ristorantealessio.it. This was a place where you walked in and immediately down a flight of steps. Almost like an old 50's or 60's jazz club. The initial dining room held about 30 people and a back room sat a few more. The food was excellent and the prices very reasonable. Two of us had the lasagne, one the ravioli and one a seafood pasta dish. They got very busy after we arrived and were late bringing us our check, so they brought all our of us a very large shot of limoncello (along with some for another table). They also said they have another location in Rome. The web address for it is www.anticocaffedelmoro.net. I would highly recommend this place.

We then walked down from the hotel for gelato! Awesome! The amount of flavors was mindblowing. 2 euros for a small heaping dish - which was more than enough. (There were two places close to the hotel and we found they weren't created equal-walking an extra block was worth it for choices in flavors and taste!)

More on our hotel. Advertised as having a/c. This is misleading. Only had it on the second level (we had what was called a loft room). It turned out to be ok as it cooled down in the evening but it was quite humid during the day and if we had been in the room then it would have been miserable in the room during this time. The bathroom shower was amazing - rain shower type head. Also had fish tank mirror over the sink with real fish in it. The bed on the first level was ok, the one on the second level was better. The first level bed was actually a sofa bed. The big draw of this hotel was price and location. Very close to transportation hubs as well as centrally located and fairly close to most points of interest. People who worked here were very kind and helpful. Our key didn't work on several occasions and they would have to come help us! Btw, the keys are the old fashioned kind - really cool and unique. They don't have 24 hour desk service so you also get a key to the massive front door. This hotel is in what they call a 19th century palace - and it looks it from the front door! They advertise digital safes but we didn't see them - but also didn't ask. I would stay here again. More in a bit

Show more