2014-03-04

I'm building a rig to use in production for a documentary and this forum has been an invaluable resource, but after much lurking, I could use some feedback to create a production ready rig. It needs to be versatile for tripod, handheld, shoulder mount, and glidecam situations, as well has have good coverage in low-light conditions AND solid sound. Granted, as far as extra lenses and additional sound & light equipment goes I’m always down to rent, but I want to have a very good range of situational coverage to just have a one or two man crew on my BMPCC rig.

My budget isn’t unlimited, but we're doing some proper fundraising to get what we need, and I certainly don’t want to skimp on quality. I’m aiming for “intelligent purchases”.

Here’s what I have so far:

BMPCC

Panasonic Leica 25mm f1.4

Panasonic Lumix G X 12-35mm f2.8

3x BMPCC Mini Batteries

2x SanDisk Extreme Pro 64 GB (95 MB/s)

Kinotehnik LCDVF for BMPCC

Hoya Digital Filter Kit for 46mm & 58mm (incl. 1x UV(C) Multi-Coat Filter, 1x Circular PL Filter, 1x NDx8 Filter)

3POD H2 Ballhead

Manfrotto 055XPROB Pro Tripod

Zoom H4N

RODE NTG 2

Boompole

------------------
Here's what I need:

ACTIVE LENS

Right now with the Lumix 12-35mm I have the 35mm equivalent of 24-70mm. So far I feel like I’d like to zoom a little tighter and am eyeballing the Panasonic 35-100mm f/2.8 Lumix G Vario to beef up my range, but I’ve also been told I should get my hands on a wider lens. Any suggestions either way?

FILTERS

I've been reading up on the importance of Variable ND but also IRND filters. I have a lot more reading ahead of me, but is there no "Variable IRND?" or Variable ND with IR cut? Or do I just slap both filters over the lens? For bang for buck I'm looking at Tiffen filters, unless anyone has strong opinions.

LENS ADAPTERS (SPEEDBOOSTER)

I have to start with some basic questions. Most people say that the Speedbooster is essential, namely the version specifically designed for the BMPCC. After looking up what it does to brighten up images, introduce an additional range of glass, and pull back the crop factor, I’m very close to understanding why. As a guy who doesn’t own any F/G mount glass though, I’d like to know the true “necessity” of this item, especially since I’m buying all my MFT glass to take into account crop factor. If I can get solid coverage from the 24mm-200mm (equivalent) range with MFT glass, am I correct in understanding that the benefit of a speedbooster would be access to faster/higher quality/wider selection of glass within that same range? And if this is so, here’s a big question: why buy any MFT glass at all (is there any benefit)? Anyway, besides those pesky questions, recommending starter F/G glass to accompany the Speedbooster would be helpful.

CAGE RIG

I already wanted a cage, follow focus, matte box, top handle, external battery, and rails, and while I know there are a couple full kits and ways to piece things together, I’m heavily leaning toward a Tilta BMPCC Complete Rig from a Chinese supplier (like this) since the savings seem to be pretty tremendous and the make quite solid. I’d love if anyone could tell me if it will work with all the little things I’d like to mount to it (monitor, shotgun, audio monitor) and it’s adaptability with handheld/glidecam/shoulder mount (options also below).

HANDHELD + SHOULDER MOUNT

I’d love to stay as much in the Tilta range as possible, and build a handheld & shoulder setup around this cage, but I’m not very familiar with the product line. Could someone advise on what I’d need to add?

For shoulder mounting, I was thinking about adding the TILTA TT-0516 but have questions about compatibility with the cage rig above, if anyone can offer input or alternatives?

Of course, it occurred to me that the above shoulder mount offers no hand grips. So I was thinking that for both the shoulder mount, and for just full-handheld, I’d use the Tilta BMCC handles and a Collarbone Rosette Bracket w/ 15mm Rod Clamp, which users here have suggested. I still have questions about LANC cables and what I’d need to make the record button work, if anyone can help.

MONITOR

At first I was looking at the Small HD DP7 Pro because of the high quality and ability to load LUTs, but am really not looking forward to that price (especially with all the addons).

Users have suggested the Atmos Ninja 2, which looks a lot more tempting and more useful then just a monitor. But looking over the specs, I have a few questions: I plan to shoot the doc in RAW, so if I wanted to use the SSD field recorder feature, is this still possible (the website says it records to Apple ProRes or Avid DNxHD)? I’ve also read a user offer this up as an audio solution to bypass the need to sync an external audio source in post, but currently can’t read anything to that effect (more on the sound I intend to be using below).

SOUND

So right now I have an NTG 4 and Zoom H4N, which I can currently use to capture audio and sync at a later time. For one, I have to add some LAVs, and was looking at Sennheiser ew 112-p G3 Camera Mount Wireless Microphone System with ME2 Lavalier Mic - A (516-558 MHz). I don’t know much about LAVS, but that seemed to be well reviewed and decently priced (open to suggestions).

Perhaps more importantly, I want to formalize my audio workflow. Like I said, I know with the H4N I could plug in both the lav & shotgun and sync later, but I’m looking for a solution where I don’t have to.

Users here have recommended Sound Devices MM-1, and am I correct in understanding that this can serve as a pre-amp that will record sound into the camera, thereby bypassing the need to sync in post? If so, I’m almost sold, but I’d love an option with two channels (one for LAVs, and one for NTG-2). And how am I getting the sound from the preamp back into the camera (looks like it only has XLR out?)

I’m also still unclear as to how the Ninja could mediate in-camera sound recording with XLR inputs, if anyone would provide some info.

ON-BOARD LIGHTS

In some cases I might be shooting in clubs and other low-light places where LEDs won’t ruin a shot and might actually make a shot. I need leads on good options here, and based on limited browsing am currently looking at Litepanels Micro LED On-Camera Light, unless someone has suggestions.

MOUNTING ARMS

Both for Lights & Monitor, will need some arms, no? Was looking at getting 2x Kamerar 11" Tough Friction Arm, but open to any other suggestions. Definitely want sturdy and versatile equipment here.

HANDSFREE

Glidecam HD Systems - 1000, 2000, 4000

I’ve been eyeing these for a while, and am unclear as to what weight I should be going for, considering the total weight of the body, lens, monitor, follow focus, cage, etc. They are advertised as supporting the following weights, what should I go for? I’m guessing I need to go all the way to HD 4000?

HD 1000: 1.5-3lbs

HD 2000: 2-6lbs

HD 4000: 4-10lbs

Show more