It’s not so much what we do, but more how we generate income. -Robert Kiyosaki
I was recently asked if I believed that it took money to make money. A few years ago my response would have been, “Absolutely!” Why? Because that’s what I was taught to think as a kid. But now, my response is a blatant, “No.”
So what changed?
My dream has always been to follow my Pa Pa’s tracks of becoming a lucrative business owner and investor. However, I didn’t know what it took to make that happen, and he didn’t necessarily know how to help me find the mindset and skills I already had within me to bring out the best in me so I could turn my dream into a reality.
Instead of guiding me down the path of financial freedom, he did what he was taught to do, which was sell me on the script of job security—go to school, get good grades, get a good safe and secure job, with benefits and they will take care of you for the rest of your life.
Although I was young, I knew I wanted something beyond job security, and knew that I knew I didn’t know what I needed to know to make that happen. So I bit the bullet, and followed his instructions under the guise that one day I would figure out what it took to accomplish my dreams and then go do that.
And through years of trail and error, I finally figured it out.
So, what does it take to make money if it doesn’t take money?
We’re going to take a page out of Robert Kiyosaki’s Rich Dad’s Cashflow Quadrant to break this simple concept down.
Ironically, it only takes 5 core pieces to become financially free:
1) A Dream – Without a dream, or target, you’re basically shooting in the dark hoping you hit something. Your dream is a beacon that guides you from where you are to where you want to be. You and only you determine what that dream is, whether you create it or ‘buy-in’ on someone else’s. But that fact remains, a dream in the first piece to becoming financially free so dream big!
2) A lot of Determination – Understand that hope never builds dreams. Hope does build anticipation and expectations, but it doesn’t build dreams. But determination does. Once you have a dream, you must be relentlessly determined to turn it into a reality because until people believe you’re determined to make it happen, they never will be willing to lend you a helping hand. Dream building isn’t for the meek or fainthearted. But it is for those who don’t mind creating their own security and building their own fortunes on their own terms.
3) A willingness to Learn quickly – Churchill once said: “I’m always ready to learn, but I do not always like being taught.” Well, with you being on the path of building wealth through entrepreneurship, I’m pretty sure you can relate to that. There are certain skills and mindsets that are required to becoming financially free. And unless you’re will to replaces the philosophies you accepted from the broke masses with the proper philosophies, then you’re in for one miserable ride. Every answer to the questions you have about your personal journey to wealth are out there, but you have to be willing to learn them. And while you might not like to be taught, you better like to learn if you want to becoming financially independent.
4) The Ability to use your God-given assets properly – God blessed us all with at least one great talent. But most people never utilize it because they’re too busy comparing themselves to people who have talents that they don’t have but want. You already have assets at your disposal that no one walking the face of this Earth has. And until you accept that and move forward in faith, you’re God-given assets will go to waste. Like a metal wrench that’s been wet and left to rust in the sun, the same will happen to your assets is you don’t put them to use properly.
5) Know which sector of the Cashflow Quadrant to generate income from - Now that you’re aware of the 4 different ways of earning money, excuses and alibis can no longer be used to explain away your lack of production and results. The world of money is a large system composed of a) employees who work for the system, b) self-employed individuals who are the system, c) business owners who create, own or control the system, and d) investors who invest money into the system. The sector you earn your income from determines the speed at which you will become financially free. As an E or S, the journey will be long, rough and rugged. And while the same applies for B’s and I’s the biggest difference is that you’ll have a lot more time to spend with your family, support causes you believe in and empower those in your community through jobs and financial education.
So, now that you know it doesn’t take money to make money, you next step is to know what YOUR dream is, be relentlessly determined to focus you efforts into turning that dream into a reality, be willing to learn from sources other than the TV or the broke masses, know how to use your God-given assets properly and know which sector of the Cashflow quadrant to generate your income from.
You can make the leap from security to freedom as long as you’re willing to change who you are at the core—values, skills and interest. It will take some time, effort, money and patience but I guarantee you that the journey will be well worth it and you’ll be absolutely thrilled by the person you end up becoming in the process.
Embrace your Billionaire Belief today
Go for G.R.E.A.T.N.E.S.S.S.
Keep IT Wealthy,