2013-09-09

Hey y'all,

I felt like yesterday's events were a pretty good CL story, so I just wanted to share. I feel like I hit the CL jackpot. I found an ad for a Trek 4500 (it's probably a 2001-2003) on CL for $125. This ad said it was in good condition but shifters needed adjusting. So I went to see it. The FD (Altus) had been knocked way out of alignment (the bracket turned) and it's cable was in real bad shape. The RD (Deore) was way out of whack but it just looked to me like it needed to be taken off cleaned and lubed and put back on and properly adjusted.

So I offered the guy $80 and he took it. Then he asks me if I fix bikes and I explained I commute to work and work on my own bike. He offers to sell me an old beat up Trek 4300 13" for $30 and I declined. It's in really rough shape and I really didn't have a use for much that was on it anyway. A few minutes later as I was getting ready to load the 4500 into my truck he says "Here, you can have it." and just gives me the 4300!

So, I call up my buddy who is a former Nashbar bike tech and explain I needed a bit of his help fixing up the 4500. Turns out he was looking for a bike for his oldest son and offered to buy the 4300 from me. So I traded him the 4300 for his help getting the 4500 fixed up!

Things we had to fix:

* Reposition FD and put in a new cable for it.

* We replaced the RD with an older Deore that my buddy just happened to have in his garage because the threads of the barrel adjuster snapped off inside the one the bike had on it.

* Replaced the RD cable housing from the bars to the top tube

* Took apart, inspected, and put back together the steerer tube/headset (it was a little wobbly).

The booty:

Show more