2016-10-15

Canadian politician Jim Prentice and three friends were killed

when their plane crashed in British Columbia, authorities

confirmed Friday.

A former premier of Alberta and government minister, Prentice

was heading home to Calgary from a golfing trip when their twin-

engine Cessna Citation crashed around 10 p.m. Thursday local

time (1 a.m. Friday ET) shortly after taking off from Kelowna,

CTV reported, citing sources.

"Our police officers and police dog reached the crash scene

shortly after midnight, but unfortunately they were not able to

locate any survivors," Royal Canadian Mounted Police Cpl. Dan

Moskaluk said in a statement. "There was catastrophic damage at

the crash site."

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau also issued a statement

about Prentice's death. "Today, we mourn the passing of a great

Canadian," Trudeau said.

A team of investigators from the country's Transportation Safety

Board was en route to the crash site to inspect the plane and

begin probing the deadly crash, a TSB spokesman told NBC News.

The RCMP did not immediately release the identities of those

killed in the crash.

Prentice, 60, was a Conservative who bucked his own party in

2005 and voted to support gay marriage. He was also a married

father of three daughters and a grandfather of two.

Apparently karma felt it was time to correct Jim's mistake.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/ca...olitician-jim-

prentice-three-others-die-plane-crash-n666601

Show more