2015-07-01

Hey guys, I decided to make this thread instead of individual posts that I usually do. I understand that this isn't really the usual forum topic and I'm aware this could belong in the Haki thread, which I assure you I've already posted in but this isn't just an explanation, it's also a compilation and if experience has taught me anything being in this forum - posting in the Haki thread has barely any exposure in this forum. I won't go against the decision if it ends up in the Haki thread, but please understand I made this with the thought that most of the fandom could use it.

I am also greatly aware that I can sound condescending. I'll try my best to work on that but there's a lot of explanations to give and I'm here to possibly make it simpler. Keep in mind that this wasn't done in a day. I have also never bothered making a thread before since I am by no means an expert - in fact most of the things I will say comes from my own deductions. My knowledge on each subject in this thread are limited, that includes the Japanese language, so I urge anyone to correct me or add things in. I also thought someone could do it better - which has technically been done courtesy of C.A. from Animesuki, whom I'll be quoting plenty and inspired me to make it as simple as possible for everyone else. The last reason being.. well, a topic about the spiritual aspect of the manga doesn't seem interesting for most, in this fanbase for a manga which favors it's story telling.. it is becoming filled with those who are less inclined.

I do understand the fact that this is a difficult endeavor for some, not only due to the possible age of the readers nor the difference in culture or language but because, well, there's a reason why authors like Oda and Martial Arts Master & Teachers etc keep things vague. Hell, it's hard for someone to even explain because it would be up to your interpretation so if you wish to continue on, do understand that these are my own interpretation but don't hold back if you feel the need to correct me. Lastly, please understand that to avoid losing the importance of the message and to show no disrespect for anyone, not only for their sake but for yours, I will try to be as concise as possible on my part, I'll quote as much as possible and warn you again that the things from my end are my own interpretation and based off my own deductions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by C.A.

Ha: The word 'ha' means domination. To have the ambition to rule supreme over others, to be better than others and rule over them.

Ki: The word 'ki' is the spirit, the lifeforce, or just the force that's found in everything in the universe. It is also the person's well being, his mood, emotions, everything that's part of his spirit. It is also the presence, the atmosphere of something or someone that is emitted or in the air. Or you can call it the 'aura' of things.

While Haki is said to be one's will, it is not so simple, the word has 2 components, 'Ha' and 'Ki'. 'Ha' means 'ambition', 'domination' among other meanings. 'Ki' is the word that means a person's will, lifeforce, the atmosphere or feeling given by the person, place or object.

Put together, Haki means 'the will to dominate', meaning one's ambition.

Important general points to keep in mind and follow

• I think I have to start with this: This isn't written with the thought of religion in mind.

• "This is not speculation, this is definition" (credits to C.A. from Animesuki). All the following quotes are old. With just a few exceptions, the majority of the quotes were made from around Amazon Lily arc to Impel Down. My own interpretation is tied on said definition, but if you do find a problem, feel free to point it out.

Quote:

My description of Haki is exactly what Haki means and how it can relate to One Piece. Its not speculation, its definition, but I cannot say its exactly how Oda is using the term Haki, just that whatever Oda has shown so far, is exactly like what Haki is supposed to be.

• Ki is VERY important in understanding Haki. Ki is integral to Haki. Ki is in everything and comes into many different forms. (KEEP THIS IN MIND the meanings of Ki in this link is in the same context by the rows it's grouped on): Intention (and Will). The Air and Atmosphere. What makes up a person's well being (Mood, Feeling/Emotions). Everything that's part of a person's Spirit (Heart, Mind, Soul). The Force found in everything in the universe - their Essence, Energy, the Indications and the Air around them, and more.

However, in the context of and to understand Haki itself better, think of Ki as the amount of force one can apply. Haki is that force applied in a direction, only when you have the spirit, the mood, the will and intention - the determination (the 'Ki') TO overcome, defeat, dominate (the 'Ha') is it called Haki, the ambitious spirit (ambition), the will and intention to overcome, the spirit of dominance etc.

Quote:

Your Ki is your mood and spirit, only when you want to defeat someone it is called '覇気' (haki). Having a killing intention, '殺気' (sakki), having an evil intention, '悪気' (warugi). Feeling serious, '本気' (honki), feeling healthy/energetic, '元気' (genki), innocence, '無邪気' (mujaki). And many more.

Quote:

覇気 (はき) (haki): Aura of fear/dominance. The word '覇', means dominance, ruling over others, supremacy.

殺気 (さっき) (sakki): Killing aura. The word '殺', means kill.

• Think of it as "Haki is just but one form of Ki". So if Shanks already showed Haki so early on, Ki itself would already be present and established. Therefore, any showings of Ki early in the manga is not ridiculous, instead it's absurd to see Haki separately to Ki.

Quote:

Originally Posted by C.A

Because Ki is everything, it can be in many forms. When you ask whether someone is 'genki', you're asking whether he is feeling fine, whether he is in good spirits. 'Tenki' is the weather, the atmospheric condition, the condition of the air. 'Warugi' (gi is another pronounciation of ki), is an evil spirit, an evil presence, you can feel the evil from a place if it looks eerie, sometimes a person can also feel evil. There are many types of ki, all coming from the meaning of the spirit, atmosphere or mood of things.

Then there's also Sakki, the killing intention of a person or animal. When a person is expressing agression, and is holding a knife, you can feel his killing intention. There's an atmosphere of danger towards you, you feel threatened and have this fear of death.

Then we have our main topic, Haki. Yes, you should be able to understand its a 'spirit of dominance', 'ambitious spirit', 'a will to dominate', something like that.

• Ki and Haki is not a fictional concept nor is it illogical or an almighty superpower. I understand that DBZ is the most exposed series which uses Ki as it's power system, but do understand: One Piece has a story driven and a more 'down to earth' growth and portrayal consisting of ambitious individuals and balanced battle of wills.

• To my own understanding: Just like we are all part of the Universe, everything in the Universe carries Ki; Thus, we have a notion of implicit perception towards the Universe and Ki.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koichi Tohei

Ki is like the number One. Ki is formed from infinitely small particles, smaller than an atom. The universal Ki condensed becomes an individual, which in turn condensed becomes the one point in the lower abdomen, which in turn condensed, never becomes zero, but becomes One with the universe. Thus we understand the essence of Ki.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Albert Einstein

The human mind is not capable of grasping the Universe. We are like a little child entering a huge library. The walls are covered to the ceilings with books in many different tongues. The child knows that someone must have written these books. It does not know who or how. It does not understand the languages in which they are written. But the child notes a definite plan in the arrangement of the books—-a mysterious order which it does not comprehend, but only dimly suspects.

• Ki and Haki has been there since from the very first chapter, while it may not always be portrayed and shown in a physical form, it's always been present.

Quote:

Haki is literally in everything in One Piece and Oda already established it all the way back in Volume 1 with Shanks and the Seaking.
Haki has been working all the way, just that the word itself is not mentioned until recently or like 5 years ago. Haki has been around all the while, but now that its mentioned, Oda is trying to tell us that Haki will be something that will be making a difference from now on.

Luffy's grand dream and determination to be the Pirate King is what makes him so charismatic and powerful. Because he is so determined to become the Pirate King, he doesn't fall from defeat, he just keeps standing up and press on. His spirit makes his Nakama trust and believe in him and makes his enemies fear his strength. That is Luffy's Haki at work, all the way from the start.

Well, at this point of the story, pretty much everyone being introduced is someone who's extremely powerful. And these people are so powerful because they have extremely strong wills, be it determination for goals, for duty or evil deeds.

From this point onwards into the New World, its basically a contest of wills for Luffy and his opponents. Another words, Haki being the key to defeating his opponents.

Yes, it seems Oda really has incoporated Haki into One Piece right from the start. If Shanks demonstrated it on the Sea King so early, its safe to say stuff like Mantra and Rokuougan is related to Haki.

Haki itself is not rare, its Haki which had grown in people to be strong enough to be harnessed into a powerful force, that's rare.
And even rarer, is Haki as strong as Luffy's, which from the millions of Haki that can be used as an energy source, is most powerful.

• Not only is Ki and Haki portrayed physically in the manga but it serves as an essential part of story-telling. It would be easier if you see it as passive and active.

• While Haki is split into 3 different parts in One Piece and portrayed exaggeratedly in each of it's application, it works as how it's fundamentally defined.

Quote:

Oda using Haki as it fundamentally works, makes the story more down to earth. Its a competition based on will and just will alone, not amazing energy sources that seem to come out of nowhere. Its basically who has the stronger will wins and it shows how strong mentally and how determined the characters are. Its a powerup 'system' that develops with character and not just an energy source that can be acquired out of nowhere.

Quote:

Originally Posted by C.A. on the chapter when Rayleigh explains Haki

Well my theory of Haki is based on comparison to other media that features it and they all work the same one way or another.

What Oda does here is just that he splits the usual features of Haki into 3 parts, otherwise its no different from how Haki or Ki usually works.

I used to describe Haki as the will and intention of an individual, when 2 fighters meet, their Haki clash, their will and intentions are put against each other.

Kenbunshoku - if you can sense's someone's 'ki', intention, well enough, you'll be able to read his movements.
Busoushoku - if your will is strong enough, nothing can stop you.
Haoushoku - if your will is exceedingly strong, no one would even dare come to you.

In Fist of the North Star, Raoh's Touki (battle/fighting spirit) is so strong, people don't just fear him, they see punches flying at them just by looking at him.

• This MANGA is inherently and in spirit Japanese more than anything else and it grows with it's characters and it's audience. Which is one of the reasons why it can appeal to every age demographic in Japan. As a manga, it will always be exaggerated even if it has a real life basis.

Quote:

I believe One Piece is no longer targeting younger audience as it had been 10 years ago. And this ties to why Haki is only revealed now.
Firstly Haki is actually a word that can be used and is used in real and daily life. This is the one main factor that separates it from other power ups such as Reiatsu, Chakra and Spiral Energy. Its the human spirit and lifeforce itself.

And for why One Piece is no longer just a shonen that targets, shonen. And how Haki being slowly revealed is related to that.

I believe One Piece is a story that grows with its original fans and for 10 years, its safe to say most every fan is a mature teenager or adult. And its why Haki is only slowly introduced, is because Oda wants the readers to mature with the story and understand Haki in a mature way.

And Haki doesn't matter only to weak willed 'goons and grunts'. In fact it is that tiny difference that when 2 people of strong Haki clash, that will decide the results. There are times in competition, when it comes to the final round, it will be that slight difference that will decide the winner.

When 2 people are aiming for the same thing and they want it so badly, they will do anything for it. Only the one who's more relentless, determined and willing, will achieve the goal.

Quote:

Haki isn't the only Japanese element in One Piece. You have to wonder why Pirates wield katanas and there's even a whole ranking system of katana rarity and power. And why characters, named or nameless, speak in all sorts of Japanese dialects and slangs. A whole bunch of attack names have furigana of foreign words over the real kanji name. Oda also uses lots of Japanese cultural references all over the story. The story is inherently more Japanese than anything else. People have missed out alot on the story's essence through translation for both manga and anime. 'Haki' is just like 'Nakama', words that translators feel that it should be kept in Japanese so that it doesn't lose too much meaning.

• I hope you read everything and hopefully this will be informative and/or enjoyable enough for you. Please take your time. I chose most of my words very carefully so please pay attention. Do note that while I've seperated them in categories, you can only make sense of it in full. Do remember that 'Ki' has to be felt, not read.

• Credits to those I've quoted and the pages I've linked.

Ki

Quote:

There are literally 100s of other types of Ki, Sakki which means killing intention, 'Yuuki' which means courage, 'Touki' which means fighting spirit, 'Genki' which is health, 'Yaruki', willingness to do something, 'Jaki', evil intention, 'Youki', ghostly presence etc. etc.

As you can see Ki forms the basis of everything that is spiritual, emotional, intentions and other things that can be felt. And when I said Ki also means the atmosphere, it doesn't just mean emotional atmosphere, it literally means the atmosphere itself, 'Tenki' means weather.

On a type of Ki that carries no feeling, its called 'Kuuki'. The word literally means 'empty ki', which also means 'empty air/atmosphere'. Normally its used to describe all the atmosphere around us, they are simply 'empty' atmospheres, a mixture of gases in space waiting for things to affect and give them a Ki. I'll talk about how Ki doesn't just describe or work with humans, its in everything.

Let's say you see a very old and creepy looking house at night, it looks like a haunted house, because it has this ghostly atmosphere. That's right, that house has 'Youki', a ghostly presence/atmosphere. And like I said, there's 100s of 'Ki', you can literally slap any word together with Ki and describe anything. That minefield has a dangerous Ki, the girl has a kawaii Ki, the food is delicious and has a Ki that makes you hungry, something like that.

You may ask yourself what's the importance of this aspect of the manga? Well if you haven't noticed yet or just as you suspected, the 'Ki' of this manga is HUGE, as well as it should since as explained above Ki is in everything and takes many different forms. From the spirit, the atmosphere, the mood in the perspective of story telling to the character's very growth tied with their feelings, determination, ambition and more; all explained by Ki. Another reason would be is to understand this manga in full and improve your understanding of different mangas, so in the long run, you're not really losing anything - except time. But hey if you're a OP fan and/or a frequent forum poster, you can at least sacrifice that much.

As an added answer though, most of us, when we read One Piece look at scientific explanations or for some, it's literary devices. I understand and respect that because it definitely exists. However, if you only look at only those things, you'll always feel incomplete and possibly exasperated since this manga mixes a lot of exaggerated science with the concept of Ki (which is also exaggerated), mostly in it's portrayal of action. In story form, the series is not without it's literary devices but the manga has another 'side of the same coin' in spiritual growth.

This post has a lot of ground to cover so I don't know how long it will be and it will most likely be a mess, so I apologize in advance.

The Ki to everything

Hidden:

If you've paid attention so far though, then things like this you can explain and understand on your own:

Sanji (despite the comedic effect that follows after) explains that people are not defined by their faces but by their "hearts". In Brook's case, he explains that even though his body is dead, what keeps him going is his "soul" - which serves as his core, which in turn explains how he can do regular things like eat.. etc. In Law's case, his fruit works as an operation fruit, but what was shown as their hearts, what he actually switched were their "mind". If you haven't noticed yet, all three of this example can be used interchangeably, as Ki is part of everything that makes up a person's spirit - their "hearts", "mind" and "soul".

So do we have an idea of what everything is so far? Good. I suggest you keep your "Ki" open.

Ki-Mind-Body

Hidden:

The Monster Trio have a ki-mind-body union/dynamic in the crew, said union is used not only for an individual to master martial arts and techniques (waza) but their own Ki.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kisshomaru Ueshiba

The unity of ki-mind-body, is to be realized by the whole person. If we grasp it merely as a spiritual reality, we may become doctrinaire and fall into abstraction. If we see it only as a matter of technique and physical prowess, then we become satisfied with a simplistic explanation of motor movements. The essence encompasses both the spiritual and physical, and ultimately we must realize it as the budö unifying ki-mind-body from a philosophical and religious point of view.

Entering the Grand Line, Zoro has followed Bushido (which is influenced by Shinto and Zen Buddhism) evolving consciously in Alabasta and onwards, as I'll explain more on that soon. He was called by Vivi (as Ms. Wednesday) "Mr. Bushido" shortly after she's seen Zoro show mercy to a nun and child and spare Ms. Monday in Whiskey Peak. He got the chapter title as "Mr. Bushido" against Daz Bones when he understood the 'breath of all things' (to be one with the Ki of all things) - when he finally stopped relying only on his muscles and force and learned what Mihawk refers to as "grace", again more on that soon.

Quote:

'Nen' is a word just like 'Haki', a normal everyday term in Japanese that the West sees as some kind of 'special concept'. Nen, in fact comes from the same intention and will power that Haki is based on.

The fact is the Japanese culture is very spiritual and sees the spirit, and will of a person as his strength. Your strength, health and emotions comes from a person's spirit, that spirit is 'Ki'. Oda is just another one of these spiritual Japanese and he's applying the exact same concept into One Piece.

Have you seen Fist of the North Star? I'll explain with it even if you've not watched it.

Kenshiro is known for his super human strength, he beats opponents into pulp. But his strongest moves are not based on strength, its based on Ki. He either strengthens himself with Ki or he destroys the opponents Ki. All his muscles are just a side effect from his training to help him master his Ki.

When fighting weak opponents, just simple muscle is needed, but when fighting truly strong opponents, Ki is what decides victory or defeat.

Raoh is a huge man, he's extremely powerful physically. But his physical strength came from his intention and will to become the strongest martial artist in the world. That intention and will, his ambition, is his Haki.

When Kenshiro fought Raoh, it was almost a non phsyical fight, it was a contest of Ki. Raoh's famous last punch, he yelled: "my entire soul's fist", it is the intention and will to defeat someone that gives you power, not your physical powers.

The Japanese view fights as a contest of wills and not a contest of strength. You do not win because you are strong, you win because you refuse to be defeated. That willpower and determination is the spirit, or Ki, that gives you victory.

Even in the real world, not just Japanese, even Western boxers, they do not rely on just their physical strength. They also need the willpower and determination to continue through the rounds and alot of them even pray to God before fights.

Quote:

To develop the subtle movements of ki based on nen, you must understand that the left side of the body is the basis of martial art and the right side is where the ki of the universe appears.

When one reaches the realm of absolute freedom, the body becomes light and manifests divine transformations. The right side brings forth power through the left. The left becomes a shield and the right the foundation of technique. This natural, spontaneous law of nature must be based in the centrum, and one must manifest the self freely as dynamic, spherical rotation.

As most of you probably already suspected, in the dynamic of the Monster Trio, the Ki, the right side that is "the foundation of technique" (Bushido) and where the "Ki of the universe appears" would refer to Zoro, The mind, the left side that is "the basis of martial arts" and "the shield" (Kishido/Chivalry) would be Sanji. Luffy being the body (feel free to interpret that on your own).

The door that opened and the Ki to the Universe

Hidden:

Quote:

The concept of breath, '呼吸' ( こきゅう) (kokyuu), which literally does mean breath or breathing, is closely related to ki '気' (き). Ki means mood, spirit and can also be air.

The involuntary action of breathing is a frequency that happens within you, you can say its the frequency of your life, your spirit. In eastern belief, Ki exists in all things, but it doesn't mean that everything breathes in air. But rather everything has a frequency in them, a frequency of their spirit. In One Piece they call this frequency the breath of all things.

You can transfer Ki from one body to another, from one object to another. In this form, Ki becomes energy, it is also the energy that exists in all things. The spirit of all things is their inherent energy. When you fan the air, you transfer energy from your hand to the fan and into the wind, making a breeze. When you fan really hard, you'll need to breathe harder.

If you can control your breath, you can control your energy and release them as powers under your control. In One Piece its just that these characters as so powerful, they can do amazing stuff with their Ki, the energy they have in them. Like kicking air into a Rankyaku.

As all things have a frequency in them, it means they have a resonant frequency. If you can adjust your frequency to their frequencies, you become a counter to them and you can cause it to act in your will. All things have different frequencies, so you can't use the frequency of slicing a piece of leaf to slice rock, the same other way round. Something that Zoro was supposed to understand and demonstrate.

And also like I mentioned above, Ki is also mood. When you're angry you breathe harder, when you're happy you breathe faster, when you're sad you have weak breaths. So a powerful fighter must be able to control his mood, his ki, so that he can control his power. Can you imagine for yourself what kind of ki, breathing you have when you're expressing Haki and Sakki?

'Breath' is really 'Ki' itself. All things in the universe has this energy, this force, which is its 'Ki'.

When Zoro's master taught him to realise the Breath of all things, he really means to be able to be one with the Ki of all things. To be one with an object, is to have a same frequency with that object. In the concept of Ki, to attain the same frequency, one has to regulate his breathing, the act of breathing is the frequency of your lifeforce and you can control it. By controlling your emotions and laying down your intentions, you can control your breathing and release energy to cut anything you wish to.

This is what I believe Breath of all things refer to.

Instead of Breath of all things being Haki itself, knowing the Breath is one way of strengthening your Haki. By knowing how to control your Ki, you can control your Haki, you can push it in a direction with greater force.

The reason why Zoro still has to meditate, is because he hasn't mastered the technique. When he first used Breath on Mr 1, it was his first time using and he had to concentrate by meditating. After that Zoro has been getting more used to Breath and he was slicing steel with less concentration. As they say, practice makes perfect, Zoro will eventually be able to use Breath literally like part of his breathing.

Quote:

This body is the concrete unification of the physical and spiritual created by the universe. It breathes the subtle essence of the universe and becomes one body with it, so training is training in the path of human life. In training the first task is to continually discipline the spirit, sharpen the power of nen, and unify body and mind. This is the foundation for the development of waza, which in turn unfolds endlessly through nen.

Nen is never concerned with winning or losing, and it grows by becoming properly connected to the ki of the universe. When that happens, nen becomes a supernatural power that sees clearly all things in the world, even the smallest movement of hand or foot. One becomes like the clear mirror reflecting all things, and since one stands in the center of the universe, one can see with clarity that which is off-center. This is the truth of winning without fighting.

Before remembering his Master's words, Zoro thinks to himself "I've trained harder than anyone else and I've survived countless life or death situations... what am I lacking still..!?". A part of his Master's teachings was that "The 'strongest sword' is a blade that can protect what it wishes to protect and cut what it wishes to cut. In my opinion, a blade that cuts whatever it touches cannot be considered a 'sword'". Those words helped his progression to be the 'strongest sword', Zoro followed and became tied to his Bushido, "to protect what it wishes to protect" and illuminate his path as a swordsman "cuts what it wishes to cut". "A blade that cuts whatever it touches cannot be considered a 'sword'" - this line has a lot of depth, in my opinion. I believe not only does it refer to Zoro, both physically and mentally at that point but also spiritually as it refers to Ki.

Let's start with the physical, as we all know Zoro's goal is to be the strongest swordsman, as he says, he's trained harder than anyone else, survived countless life or death situations, not to mention he physically exerts himself resulting in his reliant uses of brute force behind his attacks (which was made clear against Mihawk and that "A sword without grace is no strong sword"), but even with all that power and training, he is still lacking. Now mentally, before Zoro met Luffy, what kept Zoro going was his great ambition and promise to Kuina - as he stated to Mihawk, he even gained some followers in Yosaku and Johnny but in other words, Zoro went on to try and achieve his goal on his own and had nothing else besides that ambition and promise. When he met and finally decided to team up with Luffy, Zoro clearly stated "If you do something that ends up in the way of my goal, I will have you cut your stomach open to apologize".

Zoro's defeat in Baratie is both the first huge turning point for him, as well as a new beginning. After Zoro fell into the sea, Mihawk announced himself to Zoro, followed by asking Luffy what his own ambition was. After Luffy replied, Mihawk responds with "A tough path indeed, even tougher than surpassing me". Zoro then made a vow to never be defeated again until he becomes the World's Greatest Swordsman and recognized Luffy as Pirate King, to which Mihawk comments that they make a good team. From then on, Zoro still did his own thing which was touched on by no coincidence in the first island of the Grand Line, to which Luffy's interpretation of how Zoro is like on Whiskey Peak led to their fight. Zoro trained harder and continued to rely on force but he found a new source to be greater after experiencing defeat until Alabasta where the door opened for him, in more ways that one. To state it completely, that line said by his Master in the context of mental progression was about Bushido, to be specific the honor tied to being honest, sincere, frugal, stoic and loyal. Which does makes me wonder if a loner like Mihawk had someone to "protect" like how his own line about Zoro when the latter asked him for training.

As for for the spiritual, you're better off reading the quotes above but if I was to sum it up (with help from the quotes above): the 'breath of all things' in One Piece is the same as 'Ki of all things', as all things in the Universe has a Ki. That Ki, that force, that "energy", the "essence" that all things have, all have a 'frequency' ("air", "indications"; which is also Ki - remember the same context but not limited to by group in the link) to them. A person's own Ki, own lifeforce ("energy"), own "essence" - the 'frequency' to which is one's own breath/breathing. By controlling your mood/feelings (which is also Ki) and laying down intentions (also Ki), you can control your own breathing, your own 'frequency'. "As all things have a frequency in them, it means they have a resonant frequency. If you can adjust your frequency to their frequencies, you become a counter to them and you can cause it to act in your will". When Zoro first learned the 'breath', he was on the verge of death, his lifeforce (energy; Ki), he notes everything felt like they were living things (essence; Ki) and rather than sensing their presence, he sensed everything had their own breath (air, indications; Ki), their own 'frequency'.

He knew where the rocks wouldn't fall, he knew where his own sword was. That the rock, the tree, the soil had their own 'breath'. "There are swordsmen in this world who can't cut anything", just as Zoro's Master implied that you can't use the same 'frequency' to cut paper to cut iron. After Zoro notices that he could hear the 'breath', the 'frequency' of Mr. 1's iron. He "conveyed his will" to his sword, in other words, "transfered his Ki" (in the form of "energy") to his sword. After which, he demonstrated that he couldn't cut a tree branch but can cut rock, in other words, with his regulated, controlled breathing and "mood/feeling" (also Ki), he was able to adjust his own 'frequency' to not cut the tree branch, but the rock. "Now all that's left is to see if I truly can cut through iron or not" - in which he does with his appropriately named Shishi Sonson (Lion's Song) to indicate the resonance or 'frequency'. Zoro, finally becoming able to cut steel, to which Mr. 1 asks him "Next.. will you try cutting diamond?" Zoro replies "That would be a waste". While it is in my opinion very unlikely that Zoro could cut diamond, at that point, because not only is that the 'breath', the frequency of diamond not the same as steel, but it's also a lot stronger, meaning his Ki (in the form of "energy") would have to be a lot stronger. What their conversation implied though is that his progress with the 'breath' is the key to attain such a skill to cut diamond, if the need arises.

Zoro needed plenty of concentration to cut steel the first time, soon after the battles were resolved, he then started meditating while controlling his breathing under the force of boulders. After the timeskip however, he was seen cutting steel like Hyouzou's swords like it's become a part of him. As for his "mood" and emotions, after Zoro finds out Chopper's been cut, Ohm asks him if he wants revenge, Zoro replied "No, I dont really like fighting for reasons like that" which impresses Ohm, to which Zoro interrupts him to continue speaking "But, I'm a bit fired up now" (not "pissed off" like in some translations). It's a fact that Zoro is different from the other two of the Monster Trio (especially after the time skip), unlike Sanji who gets his power from his emotions and Luffy who's naturally aloof and has to be truly serious to battle stronger opponents, Zoro has to keep his emotions and breath in check. A lot of Zoro's progression are spiritual (that's why I'm doing a lot more explanations on him) as you may have noticed, resulting in people finding him "lacking" or just deem his character as "only action", even him becoming more of a 'stoic' character and purposely arrogant is a way to show he's more experienced in his path as a swordsman, as well as his Bushido and Asura path.

Have you ever seen the flying blade attack?

Hidden:

Quote:

You can transfer Ki from one body to another, from one object to another. In this form, Ki becomes energy, it is also the energy that exists in all things. The spirit of all things is their inherent energy. When you fan the air, you transfer energy from your hand to the fan and into the wind, making a breeze. When you fan really hard, you'll need to breathe harder.
If you can control your breath, you can control your energy and release them as powers under your control. In One Piece its just that these characters as so powerful, they can do amazing stuff with their Ki, the energy they have in them. Like kicking air into a Rankyaku.

After Alabasta and unlocking the 'breath of all things', the Straw Hats went to Skypiea and Zoro showed this new move against Braham. The attack itself is Ki in the form of energy but the concept behind this attack is derived from Buddhism (appropriately used in Skypiea) which goes hand in hand with his Bushido.

There are many variations/constructions but the idea are similar. In traditional Buddhist thought, there are 108 (sacred number) feelings/afflictions born of the six senses through the eye (sight), ear (hearing), nose (smell), tongue (taste), body (touch) and mind (consciousness). Then multiplied by the three reactions: Positive (Good), Negative (Evil), or Indifference (Neutral) resulting in 18 feelings. Each of these 18 can be either attached to pleasure (Corruption) or detached from pleasure (Purity) making 36 desires/passions. These 36, each of which may be manifested in the Past, Present and Future making 108.

Each of Zoro's swords represents the Past, Present and Future. By that and this is my interpretation, before the Grand Line, Zoro acquired two named swords with his Wado Ichimonji (Past), they are Yubashiri (Present) and Sandai Kitetsu (Future). Yubashiri as Zoro comments is a nice katana, very light and sharp, Sandai Kitetsu however is a problem child, full of bloodlust. After Zoro reveals Asura (as Asura is also a "path"/condition/realm that humans follow/can achieve/be sent to for those who have good intentions but commited bad actions), he loses Yubashiri shortly after, leaving him only with two swords, I believe at that point Sandai Kitetsu became his 'Present'. Shortly after Zoro defeated Ryuuma, he states it would be the sword, Shusui's cherished ambition for Zoro to be its Master. Zoro's comments on his first use of Shusui being that the sword is heavy and that the slash that comes from the sword swallowed the other two slashes from his two other swords which shows great potential in terms of power (as I believe is also due to the grade of the sword). Zoro also noting that the cut it made is crude, with too much pointless destruction around it, stating the sword has a "temper", meaning that the sword doesn't convey his will properly or in other words and as Zoro states - it proves he's not used to the sword yet. All of that leads me to believe that Shusui is the 'Future' as after the timeskip it was Shusui that was shown to be used first when Zoro cut a whole Galleon ship cleanly in half. When he teamed up with Luffy to attack Aqua Laguna, Luffy asks what's 108 x 2? Which Zoro answers is 216 but they agreed that it's too long to say and decided on 300. After the timeskip, Zoro's one sword style is 360, and his three sword style is 1080 which means he's either 10 times stronger, 10 times experienced or both.

Back to the fight against Braham. Zoro was shot in the leg during the fight and even had to land on said leg from high up, which served to indicate how well he became at regulating his breathing. Zoro told Braham "As of now, you may have a pistol... but it's a cannon I'm aiming at you! In both range and power, my weapon is superior." What Zoro did against Braham is pretty clear at this point. He transferred his Ki (in the form of "energy") to his sword then swung it in a wide circular motion into the air (also Ki), resulting into a whirling, slicing Ki slash that took flight. In the fight against Ohm, shortly after being told that the sword is - being made of iron cloud, Zoro while in distress, uses the attack again with one sword - whether he tried to cut the cloud at that point is for you to interpret (personally I think he's getting better with cutting steel so he probably did try which I'll explain soon) but the attack was repelled by Ohm's iron cloud which shocks Zoro. After which, Zoro prepared for his next and final attack, regulated his breathing, used three swords instead of one (which would explain why his attack was repelled if he did indeed use the 'breath' earlier - the "energy" was not strong enough to cut the iron cloud with a single sword). Anyway, cutting the iron cloud with three swords meant he transferred Ki in the form of "energy" into each of them and into the air, resulting in a much more powerful ("three lifetime") attack in which Zoro used after Ohm cuts the rock wall dividing them himself with his iron cloud.

Rokushiki and Rokuougan

Hidden:

Quote:

[b]I believe the rokushiki skills are not based on Haki, but a more general form of Ki. Just like the Ki practiced by Shaolin monks and other martial artists.
They are very similar to what Shaolin monks can achieve but much more powerful, Tekkai (Iron Wall) for example, Shaolin monks have the exact same skill called 'Iron Body'. Also Shigan (Finger Gun), Shaolin monks can pierce through bricks with a single finger and they're also famous for their 2 finger 'handstands', the grandmaster of 1 finger handstand has passed away though.

Quote:

The 'Ki' in this case is 'intention' and 'will', the intention to inflict damage. And Lucci's Rokuougan is the ultimate incarnation of the will to inflict damage. You can say it comes from Lucci's Sakki (killing intention), for he is known to be extremely violent and bloodthirsty. The result of the extreme intention to cause damage results in a Ki attack, the Rokuougan, which can hurt Luffy just like how Haki attacks affect him.

You should know how Rankyaku is now possible. Also take into account, Lucci, besides his own disposition/nature (also Ki), his leopard form should greatly enhance his Sakki - as Chopper states in the Galley La building that carnivorous Zoan are more violent/bloodthirsty. Lucci's Ki was also strong enough to cut the steel deck of one of the Marine Battleships. CP9 (and the Rokushiki users like Coby, Helmeppo and other Marines etc) themselves are trained in a very martial arts setting, if you recall each of their cover stories.

As Rokushiki are skills and martial art that make use of Ki, Douriki are the 'power levels' of said Ki measured by the use of physical force via Fukuro's technique.

Sanji's Diable Jambe

Hidden:

Quote:

Originally Posted by SBS Vol. 44

D: Odacchi, nice to meet you!! I finally sent you a postcard. It's a serious question, so give me a real answer. That trick that Sanji used to beat Jabra!! If it was that hot to Jabra, wouldn't it burn Sanji, too?!! Wouldn't Sanji be like, "yeow"?? Tell me! P.N. Oda Gayichiro

O: What are you talking about... WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!! Are those eyes, or holes in your head?!! What were you watching in that fight?!! His LEG is hot?! No, it's not hot!! SANJI'S HEART WAS BURNING SO MUCH HOTTER!!!

When Sanji first used his Diable Jambe, there are several factors to talk about. His spinning causing friction is definitely a factor but as we've seen after, it didn't matter much later on. However, I'm here to cover about the first time he used it and the mechanics behind the technique instead (though if you read my previous posts before then chances are, you already have).

I think we're clear that Ki is also everything that is a part of a person's spirit, whether it be your heart, mind, soul or your 'core' in general. What the SBS above covered was no joke and it covered on how such a technique didn't burn the user and this greatly involves Ki - in short, when Jyabura brought up Robin, he went too far and that was the end when Sanji got angry. There were several hints on this: Jyabura kept taunting him saying something about Sanji being emotional not once but twice, Sanji's own line of heating up when he gets angry and Oda's own reply that "his heart (心 Kokoro) burns even hotter".

Sanji's Ki (spirit/heart/mind "core") turned into anger/wrath/animosity/rage (Doki) or even possibly similarly to a certain main character who shall not be named who gets "fired up" (Kiai) so to be clear, it's not Haki. Though, it's most likely Doki, not only because of the context of not forgiving Jyabura, but also if most of you haven't heard before, the line "Kokoro goes doki doki" (which is the onomatopoeia for a fast heart beat). Think of it as another word play from Oda, which matches Sanji's character as whether it be anger or love, he's quite emotional. What kind of angry Ki is up to you to interpret, though Jyabura warning Sanji that emotions would cloud him in battle served as irony since with Sanji, it was the opposite as the heated leg burned Jyabura and broke through his Tekkai.

During Thriller Bark, finding out Nami was peeked on in the bath and kidnapped for marriage, Sanji was literally burning with anger.. which everyone else could see but everyone deemed as a gag. After the timeskip, Sanji revealed another fire-based technique using Diable Jambe: Hell Memories. To trigger said technique, Sanji has to recall the "unfair" time he had to spend in Kamabakka Kingdom; Which to Sanji, makes him rage with anger. The name is derived from the Buddhist realm and condition of Hell, I'll cover more on that later.

Zoro's Asura

Hidden:

Quote:

Then there's also Sakki, the killing intention of a person or animal. When a person is expressing agression, and is holding a knife, you can feel his killing intention. There's an atmosphere of danger towards you, you feel threatened and have this fear of death.

Quote:

[b]About Zoro: I agree on parts where it is a manifestation of his Haki or rather Sakki (killing intent). Sakki is another form of Haki that is also very common in Eastern manga, Akuma and Evil Ryu is famous for their Sakki. Shun Goku Satsu is an attack that uses their Sakki to strike terror into the opponent, render them helpless and allows Akuma to unleash a killing combo. Sakki is a much darker form of Haki, it does not spread just fear of the individual, but fear that they may be killed.

Zoro's Asura strikes fear into the opponent messing up their minds and together with his incredibly fast movements, creates an illusion where he suddenly gains extra heads and limbs like the demon Asura himself.

Zoro's Asura turning Rankyaku into mist may also be the effect of him grasping the 'breath' of the air blades and he slices through them.

When Zoro does a sort of 'Ki' attack he gives off an essence, an indication (both are Ki) of what his attack embodies. The technique in this case is called: 鬼気 九刀流 阿修羅 (Kiki Kyutoryu: Ashura). 鬼気 (Kiki) which means "Demonic Aura" as people may already know but it can also mean "Ghastliness" and "Dread", both words are synonymous to "Fear", explained and triggered by his Sakki after Kaku badmouthed Robin. Zoro used Asura again in Sabaody against PX-4, a cyborg (which makes me wonder if it would work on a robot), to which Brook and Chopper saw and commented on. The name, again is derived from the Buddhist realm and condition, this time of Asura, more on that later for sure.

I might as well cover the Monet slash thing. When Zoro cut Monet's cheek, as she clearly stated, Zoro had every intention (again, Ki) to cut her at that moment, resulting in her cheeks to bleed - whether it be his Haki, Sakki or any other form of 'Ki'. Afterwards however is very clear, when Zoro "cuts" Monet in half, what he expressed was his Sakki. From his shaded, instense and intimidating appearance to his speech comparing himself to the nature/disposition (again Ki) of a wild "Beast" (which is also the chapter title) - as whether you're a person or an animal, you can have and express Sakki.

The crew and Garp's Love

Hidden:

Quote:

Originally Posted by SBS Vol. 43

D: Blows shouldn't hurt Luffy, so why does he get bruises and swelling when Nami and the others beat the crap out of him?! Tell me!!!

O: When the crew beats up on each other, it's always in admonishment with a strong sense of purpose, which is why it works so well!! It works on his spirit!! I bet Nami is thinking, "It's his spirit that hurts deep down!!" ...right? I guess not.

It's not Haki. By definition if it was Haki, that would be a mutiny against Luffy wouldn't it? Lol. It's some type of Ki, that's why "sense of purpose" and "spirit" is mentioned by Oda himself and it's also how Luffy and Brook can be hurt. The other and more likely possibility is that rather than just the attack being Ki, maybe more like the attack hurts their Ki... or not. (I think I understand why it was phrased that way).

Quote:

Originally Posted by SBS Vol. 62

D: In Volume 45 when Garp punched Luffy, why did it work? Was it Haki after all? Or was it "Love"?

O: It is "Love" in this case.

It's not Haki, it's Ki, remember that Ki, more than anything else, is something felt, you can put "Ki" on anything - in this case "Love". This is one of the biggest misconception regarding Haki. After all, why would a grandfather like Garp use 'Ha'ki on his own grandson? Garp, later proves again he couldn't use such a thing in Marineford against Luffy. That's how Haki works, you need that mindset.

"I have no pity for criminals but Family is a different story." - Garp

Rayleigh

Hidden:

Quote:

Rayleigh taking off the collar is not Haki at all, its just an extremely fast and powerful movement that even deflects the explosion off.
And like I mentioned in my Ki explanation posts, Ki is referred differently in different situations. Your Ki is your mood and spirit, only when you want to defeat someone it is called '覇気' (haki). Having a killing intention, '殺気' (sakki), having an evil intention, '悪気' (warugi). Feeling serious, '本気' (honki), feeling healthy/energetic, '元気' (genki), innocence, '無邪気' (mujaki). And many more.

What kind of intention or mood did Rayleigh have when he was pulling off the collar? I don't know. Maybe '本気' (honki)? Or '気配り' (kikubari), care/ attention/ consideration. Unless you're saying Rayleigh wants to defeat the collar, yea maybe he has haki at that moment.

Death Wink

Hidden:

<input type="button" value="Show" style="width:45px;font-size:10px;margin:0px;padding:0px;" onclick="if (this.parentNode.parentNode.getElementsByTagName('div')[1].getElementsByTagName('div')[0].style.display != '') { this.parentNode.parentNode.getElementsByTagName('div')[1].getElementsByTagName('div')[0].style.display = '';this.innerText = ''; this.value

Show more